Chapter 16 | Before I Stood In The Rain

C H A P T E R  16

C H A P T E R 16

I slam the door behind me trying to block out the laughter. I'd never been in this position before where my mother was the one acting like a child. My mom was usually the one who knew how to handle herself.

"What's wrong with you?" I snapped. "Do you think this is funny."

"We were just having some fun Alex, relax." She laughs lightly throwing her shoes across the room. "I really think all the medications gone to your head."

I hold back the tears. "Don't you understand that this is hard for me too? For some reason you keep thinking your the one dying!"

"Don't be dramatic, you're not dying."

I hold my hands out to show her. "The doctors said if the tremors continue it meant the cancer was spreading."

My mother opens her mouth to speak but doesn't say anything. Even if she was drunk she knew what this meant. Call me dramatic it's not like I was wrong.

"Have you been taking your medication everyday?"

I nod my head, watching as my doctor wrote a few things into her clipboard. My mother was waiting outside for me still hungover from the night before.

"Patients usually don't experience this sort of nerve damage unless they've developed PN which is a term for a type of nerve damage. This could be from one of the medications we'll just have to find out which one it is."

"How?" I ask.

"Well first we'll cut off a certain pill for a few weeks and see if that's had any effect on your nerves and so on so fourth."

"But I need my medication without it I could be in a lot of pain." I say my nerves getting to me. "There's nothing else you can do?"

She shakes her head. "I'm sorry Alex, chemo isn't and option at this point and if we tried it could possibly leave permanent nerve damage."

"I wasn't thinking about chemo." I said. "I just want to know how much longer this is going to take."

Dr Miles gives me a sympathetic smile. "Cancer isn't fun and it's not short either I suggest you rest and enjoy this time with your family and friends. It'll get harder before it gets easier I know you can do this your very strong Alex."

I don't say anything. What am I supposed to say? Fuck cancer?

"You can wait in the lobby with your mother and we'll bring you back when we get the MRI room ready."

I find my mother outside with a huge pair of sunglasses on. She questions me about what they said and I tell her everything. Then I walk away and find Clarity where she's always lurking. At the vending machines.