Chapter Thirty-Four

Maia

There was nothing more terrifying then knowing her mate was taken. Finding the house was harder than expected. Fae magic had shielded the location, making it nearly impossible to find. Fortunately, waking up Lucian was beneficial. Whatever the Dark Fae blood could do, letting him see through the shield was one of them.

In wolf form, Maia was ready to kill and get her mate.

"I will wait for my pack to get here. It should be at any moment. I need you to stay so that they can cross through," Zara said to Lucian.

"We should not fight until everyone is present," Iris warned.

Zara nodded but Maia only snarled. She was close to her mate. She could sense her dread and anxiety. Maia needed her to be safe. Something inside Maia, told her Kaliska needed much more protection now. Something was different. Waiting for help was rational, but Maia wolf was passed that state of mind. She needed action. She snarled to Zara and the others signalling that she would go.

"Please Maia. You aren't thinking this through." Zara pleaded with Maia to listen.

In a fit of rage, Maia snarled and shifted to human skin. "Something has changed in my mate. I can sense it. She needs me."

Lucian lingered in between the glamour that separated the Dark Fae's hiding in and where the werewolves would be coming. It took much restraint to not go up to the Dark Fae, slay him and all his other enemies and grab his daughter. But after centuries of fighting, Lucian knew being strategic was the only way to overpower the Dark Fae and his darklighters. "Maia. I left for over twenty years to protect my family. It was the hardest decision I made, leaving my mate and unborn child alone, without me to protect them. But I knew, Zara would keep our daughter safe, even if it meant her giving Kaliska up. All we're asking is for you to give us a few minutes to think things through and go in as a unit. A family. Because that is what we are now. All of us."

For a few heartbeats, Maia considered his words. She could imagine leaving Kaliska alone for more than a day. Lucian and Zara did something she would have been too weak to do. But, despite that, Kaliska grew up strong and bold. She would hold strong a while longer without Maia at her side. Closing her eyes, Maia realized how much tension was reserved in her neck and shoulders. A headache formed along with exhaustion. She just wanted to have her mate close and sleep beside her for days. "Okay," she said, giving into rational thoughts.

*

The pack was anxious to all come. The four that did, seemed to carry the entire packs desires to fight. Miles wolf was big for his youth. When Maia looked down at him, his held bowed low in respect and submission. The action of how easily he followed rank was surprising.

"They are here," Maia pointed to her pack. "I'm done waiting."

Lucian walked up. They were hidden in the trees, staring out to the house a few hundred feet away. It was three stories high, with a Mediterranean texture. "We can't rush into the house until we get the Dark Fae out first," Lucian warned.

"Why?" Mona asked.

"His magic will play tricks on your eyes. Magic can hold strong within walls. We reel him outside and the magic will evaporate." Rebekah chose to answer. "Stay outside."

"Kaliska is inside," Maia snarled.

"Yes. And with the Dark Fae being pulled outside, Kaliska is safer." Lucian assured her.

Zara cleared her throat. "We do not want a repeat of what happened with Iris. Be aware of their blades. Use your scent to see who is carrying wolfsbane. If you are even cut by the blade, fall back and call one of our pack to pick you up."