Chapter Thirty

Zara

Waiting for Rebekah to show where Lucian rested, brought out a frenzy. Years. She'd lost years with her mate. Zara never thought shed have the chance to see his charming smile again. It broke her to know, seeing him again without their daughter could break him. Would see her as a woman who lost her way? Unworthy. She'd given up their child to protect her, but Zara could have kept Kaliska. Taught her the ways. Ached shoved its way inside her belly, knowing keeping Kaliska would have been a great risk. It would have brought the Dark Fae out years ago.

Kaliska had time to bond with both the werewolves and vampires to be prepared for these moments. If Zara was thrown into the mix during that time, she might have taken away what power Kaliska had to find for herself. They went up floor levels of stairs.

"I thought he is buried underground," Mona asked.

"He is." Rebekah said and walked into the game room. "Leave." Some of her vampires were inside, sitting around. It would take many moons before they could recover from the loss of their people. "Not you." Cameron nodded and stayed close.

In unnatural speed, Rebekah pushed all the furniture against the walls. She flung the heavy rug to the side. She had hardwood flooring.

"There's nothing here," Maia snarled, flinging her arm out.

"That is the point. While those Darklighters held the impression that I had Lucian buried completely underneath my Palace, I kept him much closer. No one would think to search in this room. I built this flooring personally. Not even my vampires aware."

"Don't trust the?" Maia asked.

Rebekah smirked. "Many of my vampires are young. Children. I know none would openly betray me. But kids talk. I couldn't risk it." Rebekah walked to the center of the room, taking two steps to the right. Frowning, Rebekah stared down at the flooring, trying to remember. She took another step to the right and stopped. "Ah. Now I remember." Crouching in her gown, she slicked it to one side, making sure her knees did not touch the floor.

Avoiding the need to pace, Zara watched in the doorway as The Monarch punched her fist through the floor. A small chunk split apart and she removed its fragments and tossed them to the side. It was too tempting to stand back. Zara walked to the side of The Monarch, peeking at what was buried. It was a lever.

"Stand back," The Monarch said, eyes warning on Zara. It wasn't a look of her being a threat to Zara, but a heads up of something that was about to occur. Zara went back, standing impatient beside Maia.\, who reached out to squeeze her friends hand.

The Monarch pulled the lever upward and then twisted. It only took two long seconds when the floor rumbled, like an earthquake shifting the ground into new design. The Monarch moved swiftly, standing beside Mona as she watched like the rest. The ground began to open up, a secret passage exposed. Slowly in a mechanical sound, something was elevating up.

All Zara wanted to do was leap to what was coming up. Part of her was still in denial. Rather The Monarch was playing a cruel joke on everyone or this all being a delusion. Zara scratched at her outer arm, nervous, a reaction she use to do much as a child when waiting. Her wolf scratched at her insides.

As if transported back in time when vampires were known to rest in coffins, one rose. The floor closed, the coffin resting for all eyes to see.

Tears fell from Zara's eyes. When she looked to Paulina and Mona, she noticed them in tears too. This meant a lot for them. He was their Sire. Zara couldn't neglect that knowing. As much as she wanted to pull him away in hiding, with no interruptions, this wasn't just about her. This would effect so many. Everyone adored Lucian. Respected him.