Chapter Nineteen

Iris

A week passed and Zara held back on calling the Monarch to a meeting. The pack was getting antsy and Iris personal life went into a halt. Paulina could not move passed Mona's new found affection for their nemesis. Standing in front of Lucian Manor, Iris did not bother to knock. She knew Paulina could sense her, opening it the moment she neared the door.

The usual look Paulina composed was gone as if she'd been replaced by another. Her hair was messy in a bun, wearing black inexpensive pants and white shirt. Paulina never worn anything that cost less than a hundred dollars. Her eyes were sunken, showing her lack of sleep.

"Did you not sleep today?" Iris asked, concerned. She stepped into the house when Paulina stepped out of her way.

"I'm sorry, I have been distant." Paulina tried to comb away her unkempt hair, staring awkward to the floor. She was feeling self conscious.

Reaching out, Iris clasped only air as Paulina went upstairs in vampire speed. About twenty seconds later, Paulina was dressed in her usual attire.

Iris frowned, giving Paulina a serious stare down. "I don't need you hiding yourself from me." Iris wasn't angry. Her concern made her voice come off sternly.

"You are right." Paulina agreed. "I should have called you back."

"No," Iris retorted. "I'm not referring to your lack of response, though I'll get to that in a minute." As a werewolf, it was natural to be blunt and chastise those below ranking. Between a mating pair, it was Iris instinct to also be closer in times of hardships. Iris had did her best to give Paulina the space to adjust to the news of Mona, being she wasn't a werewolf and accustomed to their ways. But Iris had enough waiting and her wolf would take over if she didn't see Paulina tonight. Iris wanted to comfort her mate. "You feel miserable. You don't have to dress yourself up for me."

"I am not miserable," Paulina hissed out. "I'm angry. Angry at myself and angry at Mona."

Crossing her arms over her chest, Iris studied Paulina, finding her mates words to be defensive. She considered what to say next, not wanting to shift this conversation into an argument. "Let me ask you this." Iris waited until Paulina's expression softened. "What did you sense in your sister?"

Being created by Lucian, Mona and Paulina were as much sisters as Iris and Zara. Paulina considered the question. Wanting to not rush an answer, Paulina walked toward the living room, taking a seat on the couch. Iris followed, not saying word. There was no rush in giving an answer. Paulina crossed her leg over the other and Iris casually twisted onto the couch facing Paulina, resting her elbow over the top of the couch. Her leg curled onto the couch, knee lightly brushing Paulina's thigh.

Staring at her iron pressed black dress pants, Paulina saw passed her emotions. Mona was a lot of things, but a woman to be claimed. Never. Either the Monarch had enthralled her enough to make Mona believe in such trickery or Mona's feelings for the Monarch were true. But even then, Paulina knew Mona well enough to know, tricking her would be a chore. A long process that would take more then a few weeks. "She cares for...the Monarch," Paulina admitted, finding it hard to say.

"And...when is the last time Mona cared for anyone that strongly?" Iris asked next.

That was easy for Paulina to answer. "Not since Lucian. Even then...it was love for him being her Sire. Nothing more."

Iris nodded her head. "I do not know of Mona's past nor all that makes her, who she is. But, I can see, opening herself up to anyone that way, is very difficult."

"I thought, impossible," Paulina admitted. "I hoped Latham could be that person." There was a comfortable silence as Paulina thought further.

"Some will feel, because you are vampire and me, werewolf, is wrong and unnatural. Think of Lucian and Zara together and how many responded to that. Or what Kaliska is and the things shes done. Or me." Iris words were soft, opening up to Paulina. "I was once looked at as crude and unforgivable. When my father could not accept who I was and I left, I became bitter. And being bitter, we do, harsh things. Can you not see behind that Monarch of yours? The anger and bitterness of too many years of hardship." Iris shrugged. "Who knows? Perhaps, Mona and Rebekah will compliment another in ways, that will be pleasant for all of us."