Chapter Twenty-Eight

Maia

The magic that seized her body and forced her still dissolved like ice melting away. Coldness flushed her cheeks. Eyes wild, Maia lost all sanity, pushing her body through the door of the basement. She'd literally slammed herself through the door, breaking it apart as if it held no strength. She leaped up the stairs in four steps, around into the dining room and through the front door.

She'd outrun everyone in the house, shoving Sean to the side like tossing a football. Standing on the porch, Maia stared, in search of her mate. Her skin burned as her insides seemed to boil. Her wolf clawed inside her, wanting out. Needing to find her mate. She noticed Sissy crying on the ground, sitting scared and confused.

Sean rushed down the porch sweeping his daughter into his arms. She cried in his arms, mumbling disorienting words.

"Kaliska," Maia roared, moving swiftly down the porch. Running in random directions, she tried to pick up her mates scent. It was as if she was snatched and flown into the air, leaving no trace to find her. "Kaliska." She snarled, in a frenzy. There was nothing more damaging then losing a mate. She closed her eyes, needing to know she was still alive. She was. Maia knew if Kaliska was dead, her wolf would be trying to just find her. There would be a hole through her chest, knowing a loss occurred.

"The mean lady took her." Sissy's small voice burst through Maia's thoughts.

Staring at Sean, Maia asked with her eyes to have him question his child. He walked her to the porch sitting with her in lap. Everyone stood around, glued to the girl for answers. "Baby girl, you're safe. Cousin Kaliska kept you safe." Sissy gradually cleared up from crying, as Sean helped wipe her face. She continued to sniff, laying her head into her fathers chest. "Can you tell us what happened? Be my brave little girl."

Zara sat beside him on the porch, brushing Sissy's hair from her face. "You would be helping Maia. This pack and your Alpha." She smiled and Sissy looked up.

Her small eyes came to life, understanding the importance of helping an Alpha. She was a born werewolf and lived to understand the dynamics of it. "The mean lady grabbed me from daddy." She pointed to Sean, expressive in her storytelling.

Maia couldn't move. She was paralyzed with fear. She only listened from a far. No one was dumb enough to get close to her now.

"She moved very fast. Faster that a vampire." Sissy looked up to Paulina, who'd come out of the shed with Iris.

"Did you recognize this mean lady?" Sean asked his daughter.

She nodded her head dramatically. "The white haired lady."

Maia snarled. Cynthia. She'd claimed to be an ally. Lair. Maia would find and kill that half Fae; vampire.

"But..." Sissy lowered her head, as if confused by something.

"But what?" Zara asked.

Sighing, Sissy looked up at her Alpha. "But, the lady said, she was using the white hair ladies body. I did not understand that. She said, she wanted Kaliska's dad back."

Zara looked up to Maia, knowing exactly what that meant. Whoever was a threat to them had somehow gotten a hold of Cynthia, taking over her body. Fae were tricky beings. This Fae taken Kaliska, probably as ransom for Lucian.

"Kaliska said she would go with the mean lady if I stay." Sissy lowered her head back down and began to cry. "It's my fault cousin was taken."

Sean held her firm in his arms, kissing her forehead. "No, it's not baby girl. We'll get her back."