Chapter Six

Paulina

"You smell that?" Paulina asked, heading back to Iris's home.

Iris sniffed and growled. "An uninvited guest."

They both moved in abnormal speed, making their way down a trail back to the house. There was fear knowing she'd left her progeny back at the house. Simeon was not ready for a fight.

It only took them a few seconds to reach everyone. Expecting trouble what they found was only stiff posturing and laughter from the unwanted guest.

Both women walked widely around the woman. Paulina went to Simeon on the top of the porch. "Are you well?"

Simeon's eyes were sapphire and she knew he was uncomfortable. "Just not liking her here." He pointed to the woman.

She combed her fingers through her long white hair, sweeping it to her backside. Her lips were pursed, high cheekbones announcing her smirk. "I did call, to be fair." She arched an eyebrow, pointing toward multiple bodies as if choosing who would be it for a game of tag. "Not sure which one of you men answered. But was given permission to arrive." She smiled, pleased with herself for doing her due diligence. She eyed someone in particular and smirked. "A-ha. It was you. Such a guilty look."

Iris looked down her line of wolves. Out of everyone, James, one of the younger wolves eyes went down to the ground in guilt. He wasn't young in age but in being a werewolf. Only turned four years ago but he still knew better.

"I though—"

Iris held her hand up. She would not chastise him in front of guest. It was no longer her place. "Zara will deal with you." No longer interested in how she came here without their awareness, Iris was more interested in why she was here.

"Don't worry. We should wait. I am sure at any moment, my Kaliska and her new mate will come."

"And her mother," Iris added.

Iris control was impeccable. The way she stood with grace and courage without coming off threatening. Paulina knew when it came down to it, Iris could be more than just threatening.

Paulina told Simeon to stay on the porch and walked back down.

   "So I should assume Iris is taken?" Arran came to stand at Paulina's side.

   Paulina looked to Iris and reminded herself she had no reason to be jealous. She knew Arran. He was a big flirt. Iris and Arran's relationship was platonic. She was no longer interested in giving others the opportunity to sweet Iris away. "Very much taken and dispassionate in your silly advances." Paulina arched her brow to him and smiled.

   Arran lifted both hands up and quietly whispered. "Heard you look loud and clear." He chuckled and straightened. "Honestly. You have bored me for nearly century in your lack of love. I was beginning to think you were A Sexual."

   Paulina frowned. "What a misguided thing to believe."

   "Right. You had many lovers for me to never consider such a thing," Arran teased.

   It was not the first someone thought her to have no interest in intimacy in itself. Paulina never take a lover in all her vampire years. Being untouched for so long, Paulina was unsure of how long she could last. She would need Iris to end this self torment soon.

   "How cute. Glad to not dampen the romance." Cynthia, the woman grinned.

   Paulina frowned. "Why must you come at all? It is not blinding to see, Kaliska has no interest in you."