Chapter Seventeen

Maia

   "I hate this idea." Maia paced in the room as her mate lay lifeless. Kaliska had slipped into a coma like state. Not even a sound to let Maia know she was getting better.

   "You were there. We can call this off if you feel like she'll come as a threat." Zara was giving Maia the right to speak for Kaliska. What was best for Kaliska? That was not easy to do during circumstances like this.

   The belief in knowing this could all backfire concerned Maia but she needed to take that risk. Kaliska was a risk taker and would do the same for her if needed. "Let's not detour. We don't have much time left. Maia moved to the side of the bed, brushing Kaliska's hair from her face. Maia missed Kaliska's smile and sarcastic remarks. She held her mates hand, watchful for even a twitch on her face.

   "I never said this before." Paulina walked into the room. She'd been standing in the doorway. Coming up with the plan to have Cynthia come was taken hard by everyone. The distrust of the woman made the pack frenzied. Zara ordered everyone to shift once so their wolf wouldn't be too far on edge. "I have seen the love you have for Kaliska. I have failed her."

   Maia stood. "No you haven't."

   Paulina smiled, appreciative of Maia. "You don't have to flatter me. I thought giving Kaliska space was the best. Perhaps I gave her too much. Kaliska doesn't know me and I don't really know her. I was never good with interactions." Paulina looked down at Kaliska, regret lingering in her chest. "She looks so much like her father. Has Lucian's determination and strength. I was afraid to get close to her. I knew she'd always have trouble chasing her around. I feared this."

   "When I met Kaliska for the first time...and saw her long hair and expressions. I thought, I'm in trouble. My wolf," Maia snorted and looked down at Kaliska, thinking about their start. "I will do anything for Kaliska. And no matter how many times I told myself not to fall, I couldn't stop what felt right. We make the choices we make. And let fear hinder us. You still have time to know her. She's not going anywhere."

   "She's here," Jake ran up.

   "I'll bring her down." Maia carried Kaliska downstairs, her body naked and covered by a sheet.

   In view of Cynthia, it was hard not to give her a grim stare. She laid her mate on the couch. The two wounds at her chests weren't healed. It wouldn't until the poison was out her system.

   "Why didn't you follow my orders on leaving?" Cynthia sneered. She grazed her finger over Kaliska's cheek.

   Maia snarled, warning Cynthia not to touch her mate again. "Telling Kaliska to run and leave everyone is like telling her not to be who she is."

   "Enough," Zara snarled. "I won't allow you insult my daughter or her mate choices." Taking a long breath, Zara grimaced. "Can you help my daughter or not?"

   Everyone looked to Cynthia for an answer. She brushed her white hair way from her eyes and looked down at the young woman she once mentored. Kneeling before Kaliska, she whispered words for only Kaliska's ears to catch. "Move her to the floor," Cynthia instructed.

   "What do you plan to do?" Maia asked.

   Paulina stepped away, her phone ringing.

   "Her trouble is not being able to shift. I know she struggles." Cynthia words were not meant as a challenge or declaration of knowing Kaliska more. "I have lived in her dreams. Have been giving her memories and challenges to help guide Kaliska to her wolf. Her wolf has been caged internally."

   Maia sighed. "So what are you going to do?"

   "I will go into her dreams and help her find her wolf. We don't have much time. I need silence and space." Cynthia didn't come across as cold from their previous encounters. No matter how she felt about everyone, she cared for Kaliska.