Chapter Fifteen

Maia

Maia and Kaliska did not drive here. But she wouldn't use a car now. Maia never put on her clothes, running bare foot, holding her mate in her arms. She moved in supernatural speed and though she wasn't as fast as a vampire in human skin, the drive to save her mate pushed her harder. Trepidation of what could happen would not weaken her heart into action.

The cords in her throat, rumbled as she growled out to her Alpha. Kaliska's mom. Blood soaked Kaliska's dress, a thick black oiled texture, foaming from the mouth. "Zara." Her roar echoed through the trees, branches flickering from her cry. She noticed the lights from pack home. Kaliska's arm dangled out and lifeless, as she continued to struggle for air. Her eyes were gold with pinpoint sapphire as Kaliska blinked one last time.

Maia saw some of her pack rushing to meet her. The door flung wide open. Zara stood, ordering everyone to clear out the way. The moment she stepped into the house, Maia dropped to her knees, laying Kaliska on the floor. She turned Kaliska to her side. "Open your mouth, Kaliska," she roared.

"What the fuck happened?" Sean snarled. His daughter began to cry. He picked her up and called to one of the pack to take his daughter upstairs.

Vision blurred as Maia's wolf fought to be let out. Maia couldn't let her wolf out, knowing she'd be useless. Ripping open Kaliska dressed, the two holes on both sides of her chest, gaped at her, blood spilling out.

Biting her wrist, Maia tried putting it over her mouth for Kaliska to drink. Hands gripped Maia's arm and she snarled, the need to be close to her mate and protect her. Iris whispered in Maia's ear to calm down. There was no way in hell Maia could do that.

It was Zara's voice that rose next in her ear. She used her Alpha voice to call to Maia to summit. "Maia," Zara snarled. "Breathe and look at me."

The instinct of Maia's wolf knew she needed to obey. Maia could feel her wolf pace less, her clouded vision opening to a clear sight. The darkness of what occurred tonight played in her mind.

"Oh God. What happened to our baby?" Kaliska's adoptive mom cried in her husbands arms.

"This is why we fought so hard to protect her from this--"

Jake shouted. "Dad. Not now."

Zara looked up to Kaliska's adoptive parents with a look that told them to not speak again. "You raised, but she has always been mine," she snarled. "Do not speak insult of our pack or Kaliska's rarity again."

Nothing Maia did, reached Kaliska. Feeding her was pointless. Kaliska eyes were wide with fear, as she reached up to brush her finger over Maia's cheek.

"What happened?" Iris asked, softly. "We can't help if we don't know."

"I felt something was wrong but also sense you coming," Zara said. She brushed her hands repetitively over Kaliska's dampened hair. She was giving Kaliska borrowed time, a thing only an Alpha could do for her pack.

"Everyone was there." Maia shook her head, sorting through what happened only twenty minutes ago. "The Monarch had Mona with her." She said that, looking to Paulina who stood silent the entire time. She was always more observant letting others calm before adding to the conversations. "Other packs. Even Cynthia. They spoke of a war coming, where darklighters would form clans."

"Darklighters?" Miles straightened, crossing his arms over his chest. "What the hell are those?"

In a grimace, "once Fae people," Zara snarled. "I have killed a few in my time as a rogue. Deadly." She glanced down to Kaliska. "There bloods poisonous to vampires."