Chapter Nine

Kaliska

   Storming into the house, Kaliska ignored the proper way to greet an Alpha. She was very ignorant to pack ways. A opportunity to have it embedded from being raised by humans. Kaliska wanted to get to Mona as soon as possible.

   "Kaliska," her adoptive father called out, getting up from the couch.

   Kaliska waved her hand out. "Not now." She noticed her adoptive mom sitting quietly on the couch. They'd retrieved her from Cynthia last night. She was rigid and uncomfortable, as if the couch had thrones in it. Kaliska had no time for arguments. That's what it would turn into. Lately their conversations never went smoothly. Kaliska hopes things would get better.

   "We need to talk?" Miles was eating a bowl of noodles at the dining table. He looked up, frowning from her rough tone. Alyssa sat next to him, and smiled when Kaliska approached. "Hey Alyssa." Kaliska softened her tone for Alyssa. There was a time Kaliska wanted nothing to do with Alyssa. After Mac ordered her to attack Kaliska the night of her first time shifting hybrid, Kaliska saw Alyssa as a threat. Alyssa was overly infatuated with Mac to the point of losing her own identity. Kaliska was glad she was finding herself.

Her eyes went back to Miles, waiting for his full attention. After meeting him back at the diner almost a year ago, she was overwhelmed by his presence, it confused her feelings for him. It was his wolf she felt a sense of connection and warmth to, not him as a man. She'd always been confused about her sexuality until meeting Maia in this very house. Miles didn't take the news of her feelings for Maia well, turning into a jerk. The last several months he'd calmed down but things weren't the same.

Miles sighed. "What is the issue?" He scooted the bowl of noodles to the center of the table.

In a fit of fast breaths, Maia walked into the dining room, hands on her hips. "You couldn't finish the drive here?" Maia's question was rhetorical.

  "You know how impatient I get." Kaliska turned to Miles and took a seat a few chairs from him. She didn't want to come across threatening and towering over him with harsh questions. "Have you spoken to your father?"

   Miles snorted. "Why? You want to be friends with him now?"

   Kaliska slammed her hand against the wooden table. The dishes on the table shook, making clicking Sounds against the wood. "This is no joking matter." Kaliska dialed her anger a few notches. Miles wasn't the enemy.

   Zara and Iris walked in, hearing the commission. Zara looked to Maia for answers.

   "Please, Miles. I wish I could come in here and talk to you as a friend. But you leave me little room to do that. So when I come in here, with no smile in my face. I am as serious as a wolf ready to eat it's meal." Kaliska stifled her snarl. "You would know this if you accept what is been shown and move on to where your heart truly lies."

   Alyssa put her head down, knowing Kaliska was referring to her. Too ashamed from her past to put herself out there, Alyssa hid her feeling from Miles.

   "Mona has been taken. Your father was apart of that," Kaliska explained.

   Zara waved her hand out, walking forward. "How do you know this?"

   "Mona reached her through dreams. Kaliska needs it deciphered. Her dream," Maia explained further.

   "Let us do that now," Zara encouraged.

   There was defiance in Kaliska's expression. Maia touched her shoulder. "Let your mom help. I will finish speaking with Miles and come to you."

   Huffing, Kaliska walked off.