Chapter One

Blackwater Series Three

By Domina Alexandra

Kaliska

It was three, by the time Kaliska opened her eyes from sleep. The sun burned at her back, leaving the window open last night. Half vampire, she had a small allergy to sun. Since being fully integrated with her hybrid, Kaliska could barely tolerate the sun in seventy degree weather. She could go outside but not without strong sunscreen and a pair of sunglasses. Her eyes were blinded by the sun, taking away all her sight if she stared straight at it. Kaliska learned her lesson being blind for nearly two days.

Naked in bed, she groaned, rolling over out of the sun's touch. Her back ached. Maia had been gone for a few days, scouting a few locations. The pack was growing and they needed a second location, safe for more members to be if they didn't want to live in the rural town of Blackwater.

Now on her back, Kaliska spread her arms out, running her fingers through the silky sheets she slept under. It still carried enough of Maia's scent to fill Kaliska's lungs as if she was laying right next to her mate. Mentally, telling herself to get up, Kaliska moved in unnatural speed, shutting the curtains. It was too hot outside. Carrying on with the start of her day, Kaliska showered, and went down stairs for a meal. Maia packed enough meat inside to feed a football team. There was a few gallons worth of blood and even a few more, frozen. She liked making slushy drinks. Mostly blood with added sugar. It was Maia's blood. Something about werewolf blood was delicious. Even vampires. She could drink from both.

Going for a slushy, Kaliska smiled excited to enjoy it. There was a knock at her door. Kaliska could sense who it was before they were within a quarter mile of her home. This was the house Maia had for them. When she moved out of Lucian's manner, Mona complained for a long time but eventually accepted it. The house was getting too crowded anyway. Latham moved in with his progeny. Simeon, newly turned because of her loss of control, lived their. Paulina and Mona, of course. There was hardly any privacy left.

Kaliska only wanted to be with her mate. "The doors unlocked," Kaliska called out.

Jake, her adoptive brother walked in. He was a huge supernatural supporter. From the beginning he had her back. He was the first person Kaliska told the truth to, about most things. Though still a teen, he was mature. Now a senior about to graduate, Jake was well on his way to adulthood.

Beside him, April came in wearing a innocent smile. She'd grown on Kaliska through many conversations. After finding out April was a shapeshifting coyote and had no interest in hunting her or the people Kaliska cared about, her hybrid no longer felt threatened.

"What brings you two here?" Kaliska asked, grabbing a straw for her slushy.

Jake lowered his head. His natural greet with a smile was not present. April frowned at him, and shoved his shoulder.

"You need to tell her," April said, not comfortable looking Kaliska's way.

This posturing and reaction out of Jake made Kaliska concerned. She walked to him. "We've never had secrets."

"I know." Jake shook his head. "Damn." His eyes were heavy as if weights were keeping them open. He let his hair grow out the last few months. Hair shaved at lower half of his head, the top was about six inches long, in a man bun. I'd teased him of it, but he did look good with that hairstyle. He finally had whiskers growing over his face. Watching him turn into a man was regarding. He sighed. "I know what I want for my high school graduation."

Kaliska smiled, thinking maybe she was reading too much into things. "What is that?" Kaliska put her slushy on the living room table and crossed arms.