Chapter Twenty-One

Mona

Walking into the main dining hall, Mona found Paulina standing with Iris beside her. Mona crossed her arms, standing at the doorway. Sh was guarded and ready to go back upstairs. "What brings you?" She asked in her perfect Irish tone.

Paulina smiled grimly, noticing as Rebekah stood beside her too close to forget their blood bond. "I wanted to speak with you."

Mona nodded her head sharply, arching both brows. "Well, carry on. I be waiting for you to speak so I can go back to bed." She wanted to finished whatever Rebekah and her were about to start.

"Mona. I know, how I handled your new, bond with the Monarch-" Paulina paused, finding it distressful to say what she needed. She decided to speak a different truth. "I have been hard on you. Given you know room to breathe, not that we need to." She smiled tightly.

Narrowing her eyes, Mona was surprised Paulina was able to make a joke, no matter how small it was.

"You are not like me. And I see now, that I've been trying to put you in this box, that I believed was safe and best for you. That I think Lucian would approve up." Paulina realized her own truths as she continued to speak. "Lucian turned you for a reason. Because you were you and proud of it. Loud about it," Paulina smiled weakly.

Mona's expression softened. She stepped further into the room. "I like who you are. Even if it is as rigid as a man's cock."

Iris snorted. "I'm glad we got the cock joke out of the way." She slid her hand up Paulina's back. "Perhaps we can break bread and make a truce."

"As long as we never discuss vampire Politics and Lucian." Paulina stood adamant about that. She could compromise for Mona's happiness.

"Fair enough." Rebekah smiled. Seconds rolled by when Rebekah's human servants came into the dining room, with a large steak and potatoes at hand. "I figured you might be hungry."

Another human brought in three glasses of blood. "Please sit."

They all sat, quiet for a time. "This is awkward," Iris said, with humor.

"I agree." Rebekah leaned in, brushing a kiss against Mona's cheek. "My love. You need to stop worrying and drink." She slid Mona's glass closer.

Mona was still skeptical. Giving up on her intense staring, she grabbed the glass, drinking all of the blood. The human came back, refilling her glass.

"You love my sister?" Paulina asked, inquisitively. This time, she wasn't coming at Rebekah with disdain for what she'd done in the past. Only the intent to learn her desires for Mona. Despite their difference and always arguing, Mona was her sister.

"Yes," Rebekah said without hesitation. She crossed her leg over the other, holding Paulina's gaze. "I only have the best of intentions for her. If me welcoming you into our home isn't proof enough, name your challenge."

"Rebekah," Mona warned. She could tell Rebekah wasn't use to others questioning her. "She's only doing what Lucian would have done. She took care of me when..." Mona silenced, bringing out a reminder of what she'd done to her Sire. Holding her head up high, Mona let words come out softly. "It is her right, to ask and state her approval or not." Mona looked to Paulina, wanting to say more. Despite how things were between them, Mona wanted to feel like they were true sisters for once. If Paulina could come and try, Mona could meet her halfway. A rare thing for Mona to do, giving someone a second chance.

When Mona's hand brushed Rebekah's thigh, she groaned, needing to make love to Mona at this instance. Rebekah held back her vampire that wanted to rip off her clothes. Her tone softened. "One thing, I can assure you, is that I am in love with Mona. She stirs something in me, I have not felt in centuries. I will never abuse or betray her. That I will assure you of."