Chapter Three

Zara

Zara stared out, mind distant from sight of pack. Her mind trickled to thought of possibly seeing Lucian again. He'd said they would reunite as a family. Zara thought his words were meant for spiritual sense. The thought of seeing him, kept her hopeful of a future. Zara missed out on so much. Been alone for too long.

   Losing her father and brother, the memory of taking Toby's life, still haunted Zara, rather asleep or not. She never wanted to hurt him. Many nights Zara wondered what she could have done differently.

   "You are conflicted." Iris sat beside Zara, on top of porch. This was her old home. Mac had destroyed some of its beauty but, Zara was thankful of the few things that brought back old memories.

Zara straightened. "I was just thinking."

   "About?" Iris crossed leg over the other. Her forearm rested atop her knee. Her other hand, pressed into the wood of the porch as she leaned into it.

   Shrugging, "many things," Zara said, vaguely.

   There was silence again. She thought Iris was no longer interested in talking. Taking a quick glance, Zara caught her staring. Really, Iris looked as if she had no plans of looking elsewhere. "I won't disappear. You can let me in."

   "No offense..."

   "That doesn't sound like a great start," Iris smiled.

Zara closed her eyes, suddenly anxious. "I'm really not in the mood to try caring for more than I need to."

   "Because...we can die and that would break your heart. Seems to me, you shouldn't be in a pack."

   That statement caused Zara to snarl. It was offensive for even the suggestion. When she looked at Iris ready to rip her apart with words, Iris eyes held empathy.

   "It is your fear talking. But...your wolf, heart. Instinct. That all tells you...you are meant to love many as well as be loved." Iris smile was gentle and sincere. "I wish I could have met Toby. Watched you become a woman. A mother." Iris shrugged, comfortable in her own space. "You don't think I wish I wanted to be here. I should have. Perhaps things would have turned out differently. Or things could have gotten worse. But, I won't discredit where we have come now."

"Yes. That is true. I do not wish for time to rewind. Things could have ended worse." Zara stood, a car pulling up. "Doesn't change my hesitation to be someone's sister again."

Kaliska hopped out the car, slamming the door shut. She looked vexed by what Maia told her over the phone. Her adoptive father slipped out driver side, Maia not in sight.

"You might pretend we are nothing more than pack...but your daughter is my niece. And I will not have you toss away a potential connection between us."

"You can be upset with me Kaliska. Does not change what needs to be done. You will not go to Cynthia without me." It was Kaliska's adoptive father.

Kaliska ignored him and walked toward the house. She was too furious, to notice Zara and Iris standing near.

Zara reached out. "Hey."

   "Kaliska. Your mother and I raised you to always act as a family. Do not forget the things we've—"

   "Fucking okay," Kaliska snarled. Her eyes shimmered Hybrid. It frightened her adoptive father, his head dropping lower than hers. Each breath carried a grumble. Her hybrid was awake. She wouldn't hurt her father but didn't change her from being angry. She pointed her index finger at him, ready to speak her thoughts.