54

Crouched down in front of a pile of bodies with her brown hair flowing freely in the wind, Scarlett examines the dead people

Crouched down in front of a pile of bodies with her brown hair flowing freely in the wind, Scarlett examines the dead people. Obviously they're messed up in the head by just looking at them, but what was their reason? Why did they attack them? No one except them know.

Screaming comes from outside the gate alerts Scarlett and she jumps to her feet, running towards the gate. "Open the gate!" Rick yells and Scarlett struggles to unwrap the chain but once she does, she slides the gate open, her eyes widening as she watches Rick run towards them with walkers behind him. As Rick makes it inside the community, a walker tries to get in and Scarlett yanks her knife out of the holster before piercing it through the walker's head.

Michonne helps Scarlett close and lock up the gate. Scarlett whirls around, her eyes still wide. "What happened? Are you okay?" She asks, looking over his arms for any scratches or bites. "I-I'm fine." Rick stutters breathlessly. The town surrounds them and Scarlett steps back near Maggie and Michonne, listening to Rick beginning to talk.

"You can hear it. Some of you saw it. They got back here, half of them. Still enough to surround us 20 deep. Look, I know you're scared. You haven't seen anything like this. You haven't been through anything like this. But we're safe for now." Rick announces, his voice full of authority and protectiveness.

"The others, they're gonna be back. They're gonna be back. Daryl, Abraham, Sasha, they have vehicles. They're gonna lead 'em away, just like the others. And Glenn and Nicholas are gonna walk through that front gate after." Scarlett grabs Maggie's hand in reassurance, squeezing it. "They know what they're doing, and we know what we need to do. We keep noise to a minimum. Pull our blinds at night. Even better, keep the lights out. We'll try to make this place as quiet as a graveyard, see if they move on."

Scarlett looks around, her eyes stopping in Aaron's guilty expression. "The quarry broke open and those walkers we heading this way-All of them. The plan that Rick our into place stopped that from happening. He got half of them away." Aaron speaks up, fiddling with his hands.

"I was out there recruiting with Daryl. I wanted to try and get into a cannery and scavenge, and Daryl wanted to keep looking for people. We did what I wanted-and we wound up in a trap set by those people. And I lost my pack. They must've followed our tracks. Those people who attacked us-they found their way back here because of me." He confesses and Scarlett looks around staring fiercely at the group who are obviously upset with Aaron.

"Hey-don't blame yourself, mistakes happen. We can't change what has already happened. And I don't want to see no one giving him dirty looks or nothing because I don't see y'all going out there risking y'all's life. Leave him alone, or you'll have to deal with me." Scarlett tells everyone, dropping Maggie's hand in the process. Everyone scurries away and Aaron walks up to Scarlett.

"Thank you." He says and Scarlett shakes her head, waving him off. "It's nothing." Turning her head, Scarlett watches at Maggie sticks a gun in her holster. "Maggie." She calls, walking towards her with Aaron following her. "What are you doing?" She asks, skeptically.

"I'm going out to find Glenn." She utters, stuffing a knife around her waist. Letting out a sigh, Scarlett converts all her weight onto one leg. "Well, I can't stop you. So I have to go with you." Maggie looks up, shaking her head.

Scarlett begins to nod her head and Aaron looks between the two before letting out a groan. "We're going to help you. And I know a safer way out." Aaron settles it and Maggie lets out a huff before caving in.

Looking down at the sewer, Scarlett scrunches her nose up at the smell. "I thought you said we weren't going over." Maggie scoffs, her head pointed towards the ground. "We're not. We're going under. This leads to a sewer that was part of the old neighborhood that was here before they built this up. It'll take us under the wall-and hopefully pasts the walkers." Aaron explains, his hands going everywhere as he speaks.

"Thanks-But I'm going on my own from here." Maggie mumbles and Scarlett rolls her eyes; lifting her head. "No you're not. I am not going to let you go down there by yourself when you could die." Scarlett growls before looking back down at the smelly sewers. "I can't-I can't watch more names go up on that wall." Aaron stutters and Maggie nods.

Holding back a gag at the smell of rotten corpses and sewer, Scarlett visibly cringes as she feels water fill up her sneakers. Trailing behind Maggie and Aaron, she keeps her hand on her knife-just in case. Maybe everyone is still alive, maybe they're not. Nobody knows and that's what sucks the most. They don't know and all they can do is worry if they are or not.

As they make it to the end, Scarlett furrows her eyebrows at the missing ladder. "This ladder must've fallen a long time ago. Let's try and get it out of here. On three, ready?" Aaron says and the trio grab the ladder, clutching it in their hands. "One, two, three." All three of them pull with all of their strength and Scarlett breathes in deeply, her arms beginning to ache. They drop the ladder, taking deep breathes. Scarlett picks the ladder back up, looking at the other two. "One, two, three." They pull once again and the ladder comes loose, knocking Aaron in the forehead.

"Oh shit." Scarlett utters, dropping the ladder and running towards him, examining his wound. "I would stitch it up right here, but I don't have nothing to." She informs him, biting her lip. Snarls sound and Scarlett looks away, her eyes widening as she is met with the sight of some walkers.

Pulling her knife out, she rushes forward, rearing her arm back and sending the knife through the skull of the now fallen corpse. Pushing the second walker up against the wall, Scarlett plunges the knife up its neck, letting it fall limply to the ground. "Are y'all okay?" She asks, turning around and seeing a dead walker at the feet of Maggie.

Walking towards the exit, the hope on their faces die down and Scarlett leans against the dirty wall, her hair falling into her face. The growls and snarls of walkers fill her ears and she looks up, watching as they stumble closer to the poles. "It's over Maggie." Aaron mumbles and tears fill Maggie's eyes.

"I burned the last picture of him because I said I wasn't gonna need it anymore. Because I was never gonna be away from his again." She croaks out, her voice cracking. "I'm pregnant." She whispers and Scarlett's mouth falls open, her eyes widening.

"He didn't want me to go out there and I said yes. And if I would've gone-if I was with him, maybe I could've helped him. I don't know if he's alive. He would've shown me by now, that's what Michonne said. I just want to see his face." She says, tears falling down her face, one by one. Scarlett gulps before walking up to her friend and wiping the tears off of her face.

"You can't give up on him. Glenn is a fighter and I know he is still alive." Scarlett whispers before bringing her into a hug, rubbing her back.