9

Scarlett stands by the group, her eyes focused on the trees, but her ears listening to everyone

Scarlett stands by the group, her eyes focused on the trees, but her ears listening to everyone. "I can head up here by this creek." Daryl says, pointing his finger at the spot. Scarlett looks over at the map, her hair falling into her face. Her eyes follow a trail that leads to a small town and she points at it. "I can check this place out." She suggests, raising her eyes.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Shane says, shifting all his weight onto one foot. Scarlett glares at him, setting both hands on the truck. "I can handle it myself." She scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"I'm sure you can. But with your ankle and that cut on your hand, you're weakened." Shane explains, returning the glare. "I can bring someone with me, plus my ankle is feeling better." Scarlett argues, crossing her arms across her chest. "You can take Glenn." Rick cuts in before an argument can break out. Everyone in the group has noticed the tension between the two ever since that night.

Scarlett turns on her heel, walking towards the RV. "Glenn!" She yells, squinting up at the roof. "What?" He calls back, his head appearing. "Get ready, we're going on a run!" She says, walking away.

"You're going on a run?" Maggie asks, running to catch up with Scarlett. "Yeah. I saw a town on a map I'd like to check out." She replies, stuffing her hands in her pockets. "I know that place like the back of my hand. Can I come?" Maggie says and Scarlett nods, "Sure."

♢ ♢ ♢

Scarlett rummages through the shelves, looking for something useful. A grin appears on her face as her fingers run across something familiar. She grabs the stack of candy, stuffing them in her bag before turning around, something catching her eye. A book section.

She rushes over, grabbing a couple of books that the group may enjoy. She turns around to be greeted by the sight of comic books. "Damn it, Carl. Today is your lucky day." She mutters to herself, grabbing a few and setting them gently in her bag. "Scarlett!" She hears and she walks out of the store, seeing Maggie and Glenn ready to leave.

"Y'all can go ahead, I saw something and I want to check it out real quick." The pair look hesitant, but trot off. Scarlett takes a deep breath before raising her gun up and walking towards the dead walker.

Scarlett reaches out for the satchel that is holding the arrows, but something grabs her hand, preventing her from grabbing them. She looks at the hand, realizing it's the walkers. Scarlett's eyes widen and she reaches for her knife, struggling to get it out of the holster.

She finally gets the knife into her hand and she falls on top of the walker. As she goes to stab it,  it flips them over and the knife falls out of her hand. The walker snaps it's hungry jaws at her, trying to bite her. She clenches her jaw, not wanting to die today. Scarlett reaches up and pulls an arrow out of the satchel, shoving it deep into the eye of the walker, blood splattering all over her. She pushes the dead walker off of her and pulls the satchel off the walker, kicking it as she does. "Bastard." She murmurs before swinging the satchel over her shoulder and grabbing the arrow that's in its head.

She grabs her knife before walking out of the building, walking around the corner. "Shit." She mutters, as she spots a dozen of walkers heading her way. She clutches her knife in her hand.

Scarlett presses her back against the wall, trying to calm her breathing. The sound of a door opening behind her causes her to swivel her head around, a walker stumbling towards her. She lunges towards the walker, plunging the knife deep inside its head.

A hand grabs her arm, bringing it to its mouth. Scarlett bites her lip before bringing her leg up and kicking it. The walker falls off of her arm and she bends down, pushing the knife in its skull. Scarlett grabs her bag, stumbling to her feet and making a run for the horse. Scarlett dodges a walker that reaches out to grab her.

Scarlett struggles to unknot the rope with her shaky hands. She glances behind her, seeing the walkers catching her. She grabs her knife, slicing the rope.

Setting her foot in the stirrups, she pulls herself up, swinging her leg around. "Hiyah!" She yells and the horse takes off sprinting.

♢ ♢ ♢

Carl sits up, watching as Scarlett walks into the room. "Hey bub." She says, sitting down in a chair. "Guess what." She grins and Carl looks at her, confusion on his face. Scarlett opens her bag, pulling out the comic books and a candy bar.

"No way!" Carl beamed, grabbing the stack and the candy. Scarlett laughs, patting his leg. "You enjoy that. I'll be back soon enough." He nods and opens his candy bar.

Scarlett walks out of the room, bag slung over shoulder. She walks out to the house, spotting Carol. "Hello Carol." She greets, walking over to her. Scarlett digs around in the bag, feeling the book she wanted. She pulls the book out, handing it to Carol. "Thank you." Carol whispers, smiling.

Scarlett nods before walking off towards the RV, standing next to Glenn. She looks at him. "Shouldn't Daryl be back by now?" She asks him, her eyebrows furrowed. "You know Di—"Glenn is cut off by Andrea screaming about a walker. Scarlett pulls her gun out of the back of her pants before running towards the lone walker.

She abruptly stops, her heart racing and gun aimed. "D—Daryl?" She stutters, her hands shaking. Scarlett stares into his eyes, not breaking eye contact until he looks at Rick. "That's the third time you pointed that damn thing at me. You gonna shoot me or what?" Scarlett lets put a deep breath, lowering her gun and stuffing it in her pocket.

She smiles, happy that all of her group is okay, but that smile disappears once a bullet flies through the air and Daryl drops.

"Daryl!"