38

The sun had went down a few hours ago and Scarlett is still walking on the road, looking for anything to quench her thirst

The sun had went down a few hours ago and Scarlett is still walking on the road, looking for anything to quench her thirst. She had searched 3 houses so far and all have been raided. She has been walking for 5 hours and hasn't came across another house since.

She has been alone for 5 days so far and it's quiet. So quiet her thoughts echo in her mind.

Scarlett's eyes droop close before she forces them back open, tiredness consuming her. No, you have to keep going. She thinks to herself, almost tripping over her feet. If anyone saw her, they'd probably mistake her for a walker and shoot her.

She has blood all over her-she's not exactly sure if it's from her or the walkers. Her wound from the bullet graze is infected and oozing blood and puss. Her hair is tangled and filled with dry blood.

Scarlett looks forward, a small campfire catching her attention. Pursuing her lips, she ventures off into the woods, staying near the road. Crouching down behind a tree, she watches as a mind holds three people at gun point, men surrounding them.

The men pounce on another guy that had tried to stop him and Scarlett raises her gun, aiming towards one of the men holding onto a woman. She pulls the trigger, a bullet flying out and hitting the man in the chest, knocking him down. This causes a distraction and the man being held at gun point turns around, biting a chunk out of the enemy's juggler.

She points her gun at a guy who is holding a child hostage and she doesn't hesitate with pulling the trigger. Once all the men are down, the three people look from where the gunfire is coming from. "Come on out!" Scarlett's breath hitches as she recognizes the voice. Slowly emerging she looks at Michonne, Carl, and Rick tears in her eyes. She runs to the road, running into the arms of all of them, tears streaming down her face.

"I thought y'all were dead." She mumbles, pulling out of the hug, wiping the tears away. "Where is everyone?" She asks, looking around, not seeing anyone else. "They aren't with us." Michonne replies and Scarlett frowns, noticing a familiar face.

She gently pushes through them, her eyes meeting his. "Daryl." She breaths out, a small smile appearing on her face. She runs up to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. He tenses up before slowly relaxing, wrapping his arms around her. Scarlett mumbles an apology before pulling away, looking up at his face. She bites her lip, wincing. "You don't look good." She chuckles, raising her hand and touching a bruise. He narrows his eyes at her as pain soars through it.

She pulls her hand away before looking at the others. "There is some cans of food." She informs them, pulling her bag off and handing it to Rick. "Do y'all have water?" She asks, eyebrows raising slightly. Michonne nods, handing her a water bottle. She quickly unscrews the cap, pouring the water into her mouth, quenching her thirst. She screws the cap back on, handing the bottle back to Michonne. "Thank you."

"What happened to yer' arm?" Daryl asks, nodding towards the wound. Scarlett shrugs, glancing down at the graze. "During the attack a bullet grazed my arm. I haven't been able to clean it or wrap it so it's infected." She explains and Michonne pulls her arm, setting her down on the ground, crouching down and examining it.

Michonne pours water on it and Scarlett clenches her jaw, throwing her head back in pain. "So, is there any plan?" Scarlett asks, once the pains seizes. Rick glances at Michonne before looking back at Scarlett. "There is a sanctuary, Terminus. I feel as if everyone would go there." Rick states and Scarlett takes a deep breath, sending him a look.

"How do we know if that sanctuary is safe?" She questions, not wanting another war to break out. Rick shrugs, "We don't. But if it isn't, we all know what to do." Scarlett's frown deepens, a sigh breaking through her lips. Looking down at the now wrapped wound, she thanks Michonne before turning back to Rick.

"If you don't mind. I am going to sleep." She mutters, standing to her feet, and dusting her pants off. "We cleared the cars." Rick tells her and she nods, sending him a small smile. Walking off towards a truck, she opens the door, sliding in and shutting it.

Staring at the sky through the cracked windshield, the drivers door opening. Scarlett glances over, watching as Daryl gets in the truck, shutting the door behind him. "Where'd you go?" Scarlett asks, turning her attention back towards the sky.

"I ran with Beth. We scouted our for few days before someone took her." Daryl grunts and Scarlett nods, propping her feet up on the dashboard. "You sleep, Ill take guard." She tells him, even if her brain is telling her to go to sleep.

"Oh-Uh, here." Daryl awkwardly says, pulling out a book. Scarlett raises her eyebrows, grabbing the book. The Hunger Games. A grin spreads across her face and she looks up at Daryl. "Thank you." She breathes out. Daryl sends her a nod, leaning his head back. Scarlett cracks open her book, squinting her eyes trying to read.

When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim's warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our moth. Of course, she did. This is the day of the reaping. I prop myself up on one elbow. There's enough light in the bedroom to see them. My little sister, Prim, curled up on her side, cocooned in my mother's body, their cheeks pressed together. In sleep, my mother looks younger, still worn but no so beaten down. Prim's face is as fresh as a raindrop, as lovely as the primrose for which she was named. My mother was very beautiful once, too. Or so they tell me.

Sitting at Prim's knees, guarding her, is the world's ugliest cat. Mashed-in nose, half of one ear missing, eyes the color of rotting squash. Prom named him Buttercup, insisting that his muddy yellow coat matched the bright flower. He hates me. Or at least distrusts me. Even though it was years ago, I think he still remembers how I tried to drown him in a bucket when Prim brought him home. Scrawny kitten, belly swollen with worms, crawling with fleas. The last thing I needed was another mouth to feed.

♢ ♢ ♢

"Scarlett." Daryl grunts, waking up from his sleep. Scarlett looks up from the book, closing it. "I'll take guard." He mumbles and Scarlett nods, setting the book on the dashboard. Pulling her legs up towards her chest, she leans her head against the window, instantly falling asleep.