5.

Edited 5/30/2019

When Lucas returned in History, Riley was quick to welcome him back.

“Hi, I'm glad you're back,” She said.

“Hi, me too,” he replied, sitting at his desk. Ryan smiled at him and he smiled back.

Cory looked up from his desk and glares at the new kid. “Apparently you have a better sense of direction than I anticipated.”

As Cory starts the class, it becomes clear to Ryan what he had missed the day before.

Maya had started a rebellion against homework. Ryan has to admit, he liked the idea, but to achieve that you'd have to have a bigger plan than just boycotting homework in one class. Riley was also trying to be Maya and Farkle fell asleep.

“Alright everyone who did your homework, take it out and put it on your desk.”

Ryan pulled out his essay on Minority Rights, it had taken five pages rather than three. Maya collected the homework that only a few kids had done.

“Careful there, Ms. Hart,” Cory warned. “Are you sure you want to do this?” Riley asked. Maya reassured her that she had it handled.

“Maya put the homework down,” Maya looked over to Ryan. “I've got this, Ryan, trust me.” Ryan shook his head. “The kids who did their homework didn't want to be a part of this rebellion, don't force them.” Maya ignored him.

Farkle burst into the room with a large project that had sparklers. Ryan briefly wondered where he'd been keeping it this whole time.

“The branding of Atlanta led to the end of the Civil War, and of peace. I believe that peace is worth fighting for,” Farkle said. Ryan thought that was a great project, but Maya didn't share the same sentiment.

She stole a sparkler off of the extravagant school project. “Hey! That's a pivotal part of my diorama!” Maya took another. “And there goes Virginia,” Farkle said sadly.

Maya spoke as she stood on her desk. “The burning of homework led to the end of the homework rebellion because there was no more homework," she placed the sparklers underneath the homework. Ryan shot out of his seat and stood in front of Maya's.

Ryan was lucky enough that Maya wasn't holding the homework above her head, so he could take it from her easily. Once he got the homework he gave it to Cory who placed it on his desk. Maya was unfazed, she continued chanting, “No homework, more freedom!”

Ryan was a second away from taking Maya off of the desk himself when the sprinklers went off. Ryan sighed and took her off the desk anyway.

“Ok, so those work,” Maya said, patting Ryan on the shoulder so he'd let her go. He didn't, he just shifted her over his shoulder.

“Is this all a part of your presentation or is this really happening?” Farkle asked. At that point, their classmates had fled the room for a dry area, so Riley, Maya, Farkle, Lucas, and his dad were left with him.

Farkle, panicking, ran to Cory and jumped on his back. Ryan led everyone out of the raining room. He placed Maya down on her feet and she flipped her wet hair out of her face.

“Ms. Hart you have detention. The principal will determine if it goes farther than that,” Cory said seriously with Farkle still on his back.

“I deserve detention too!” Riley protests, stomping her foot like a little girl.

“And what did you do?” Riley stood there silently.

“Farkle get down.”

“Well you're actually quite comfortable, sir.”

“Farkle.”

He instead gripped tighter.

“Farkle isn't going anywhere!”

Cory sighed and looked to Ryan for help.

“Down, Farkle,” Ryan said, standing behind Cory. Farkle slid off straight into Ryan's arms. Ryan's smiled and let Farkle stand on his own.

“You're looking at us pretty hard there, Matthews,” Maya said, sounding like she was holding back tears.

“I just wanna stand by my girl,” Riley said, standing next to Maya. Ryan sighed. She didn't know what it meant to stand by her, then, did she?

Cory shook his head. “You missed the moment to stand by your girl. You were so busy trying to be her, you forgot the best thing you can do for her is be you.”

Cory looked at Ryan and Farkle. “Go take a walk, all three of you.”

The three left Maya behind as they left down the Hall. Riley looked close to tears herself, so Ryan wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close to him while walking. Riley put an arm around his waist to pull them together while Farkle walked at their side.