6.

Edited 5/30/2019

Farkle dropped Ryan off at home while Riley stayed at the school, waiting for Maya.

Ryan was picking at a pop tart when Riley burst through the door, Maya trailing behind her.

Ryan rubbed at his temple. He got up and ruffled Auggie’s hair.

“Tell me when stuff gets interesting, k?”

“You got it,” He went back to coloring. Ryan smiled and walked into his room.

--

Later, there they were, standing at the very subway Ryan avoided. His dad gave a speech about Riley. Ryan wasn't sure what she'd done to deserve this, as the past few days have been mostly about Maya's rebellion, all Riley did was meet a boy. Maybe he missed something.

“You think I'm ready?” Riley asked. “You showed us you are,” Cory said, handing her a card.

“Riley I've already met the world, now it's your turn.” Riley beamed at him. She and Maya walked into the open doors of the subway, alone.

“Hey, it's not so different from Texas, look, there's a pony,” Lucas said, pointing to a rat.

“You sweet summer child,” Ryan said, holding onto Lucas's shoulder while trying not to laugh, “that is a rat.”

Lucas jumped back. Ryan patted him on the arm.

“You've got much to learn,” Ryan laughed, leading him and Farkle out of the subway.