44.

Girl Meets Game Night

“I love Saturdays,” Ryan said happily, sitting down at the breakfast table. Topanga raised her eyebrows as she set a plate of eggs down in front of him.

“Oh? Why?”

“Because today I’m going over to Aidan’s for a cooking lesson,” He said with his mouthful, spitting. Topanga tossed him a napkin, which he caught with his face.

“I don’t remember you asking if you could go over there.”

Ryan stared at her. “I didn’t.”

Topanga cleared her throat awkwardly. “Right. So,” She stared picking at her own plate, “What else are you doing today?”

“Uncle Josh is coming over to hang out with me and Auggie.”

Just then, the door opened. “Hey, Ryan,” Aidan called. Ryan picked up his plate and quickly shoved the rest of the food into his mouth on his way to the sink. He dropped the plate into the sink and waved to his mom.

She smiled at them as they left. “Bye, Ryan. Love you!”

Ryan smiled with a thumbs up before shutting the door. Topanga groaned and put her head in her hands.

How was she supposed to fix her relationship with Ryan if he wouldn’t spend any time with her?

--

Ryan awkwardly swallowed as he and Aidan made their way to the Alvarez apartment.

“Was your mom awkward?” Aidan asked with a poorly concealed laugh. Ryan shoved him with his shoulder. “Yep.” Ryan scratched at his neck and quickly changed the subject. “Did you get all dressed up for me?” He said teasingly. Aidan rolled his eyes and tugged at the collar of his t-shirt.

It was a plain white tee that had ‘tuxedo’ written across the chest in small black lettering.

“Yes, of course. I wanted to be at my fanciest for today’s lesson.” Aidan rolled his eyes. “Thanks for the shirt, by the way.”

Ryan raised his wrist with a large grin. “Thanks for the watch.”

Aidan burst into laughter as they entered the elevator. “That looks fuckin’ ridiculous.”

“Hey!” Ryan held the pink Hello Kitty digital watch to his chest. “That’s my watch you’re insulting!”

Their laughter echoed throughout the halls as the elevator doors shut.

--

“I feel like we made a mess,” Ryan commented, looking at the kitchen that was completely painted in flour. Aidan shrugged.

“This just looks like we redecorated, to me.” Ryan gave Aidan a flat stare as he shrugged.

The door opened and the boys turned slowly to face Elena.

She looked at them tiredly. “Will you boys clean this up?”

The nodded quickly. She nodded slowly and walked down the hall into her room.

“Cool.” Ryan grabbed the tray of empanadas and put them into the oven. “How long are they supposed to be in here for?”

“Uh,” Aidan grabbed his phone, only to further cover it in flour. “Fuck.”

Ryan laughed at him and turned on his own phone, unlocking it with face ID. “Aren’t you supposed to be the smart one?”

Aidan crossed his arms and leaned against the counter. “I’m also the one with the recipe open on his phone.”

Ryan giggled. At Aidan’s look, he said, “Resippy.”

Aidan snorted and rolled his eyes. “Dude.” Ryan dusted his hands off on a rag. “Dude, just wash your hands.”

Aidan turned the sink on and Ryan ran the rag through the water quickly before turning to clean the counter.

“So, how was your Christmas, man?” Aidan asked after putting the empanadas into the oven and setting the timer. Ryan heaved a sigh.

“Dramatic.”

Aidan laughed. “When is it not at your house?”

“I came out to them.”

Aidan stopped what he was doing and faced him. “How did it go?”

“Funnily enough, that was the least dramatic thing that happened all night.”

Aidan laughed. “That’s hilarious,” he said dryly. Ryan rolled his eyes. “I know.”

Ryan grabbed a broom and began working on the floors while Aidan gathered the dishes. “What was the most dramatic?”

“Well, I confronted my parents about neglecting me for three years.”

Aidan stopped and turned to face him again. “They what?”

“Uh,” Ryan froze and stared at the floor. “Yeah. And then they apologized and I told them I forgave them.”

“What? I know I don’t have the full story but they don’t deserve your forgiveness!”

“Don’t you think I know that!” Ryan yelled, looking back up at him. “Don’t you think I know that?”

Aidan just looked at him, giving him the space to continue.

Ryan sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I don’t think I’ll ever really forgive them. I mean, who fucking ignores their son while giving endless amounts of attention to their other kids in front of them?”

Ryan felt a stinging behind his eyes and cleared his throat harshly. “I’m just sick of it. I’m sick of talking about it, I’m sick of crying over it. I just want to forget about the whole fucking thing and just get my parents back. That’s it, if only they’d stop fucking talking to me about it.”

Ryan gripped the broom tightly.

After a beat of silence, Aidan said, “That’s rough, buddy.”

“Don’t quote avatar at me you fucking nerd,” Ryan laughed, losening his grip on the broom.

Aidan just laughed and continued to wash the dishes.

Ryan continued cleaning the flour, with a brighter smile than he’d had in days.