19.

When Ryan walked into the apartment after hanging out with Farkle after school, he saw the whole family sitting at the table surrounding Maya.

Awkwardly, he slowly shut the door and backed into the hallway. He knocked on the neighbor's door.

After a second, a short Latina woman with light brown curls wearing nurse scrubs answered the door.

“Hello, Mrs. Alvarez.”

“Oh, hello dear. Do you need to use the window again?” she asked, giving him a teasing look.

Ryan nodded sheepishly, blushing. She laughed and let Ryan into the apartment.

He walked quickly to the window in the living room, nodding at Mrs. Alvarez as he opened the window.

“Who are you?” A voice came from the kitchen. As Ryan opened the window, he saw a boy around his own age in a prep school outfit. He had short brown hair combed back and cute blue eyes. He was Latino, like Mrs. Alvarez

“Who's asking?” Ryan asked, leaning against the window frame. Mrs. Alvarez walked into the kitchen and pulled out cookies from the fridge.

“This is my nephew, Aidan. Aidan, this is Ryan Matthews, he lives in the apartment next door. He uses the window sometimes when he forgets his keys.” She placed the cookies on the table.

“Please, dear, take one,” Ryan walked over and picked one up.

“Thank you, but I've gotta go. Thanks!”

Ryan climbed out the window with the cookie in his mouth. He closed the window behind him and climbed the fire escape to his bedroom window. Sliding it open, he three in his backpack and dropped in after it.

Ryan tossed his bag into the closet and kicked off his shoes. He finished the cookie and dropped into his bed.

He quickly fell asleep.