23

Dinner was always an event in his house. There was always Riley Drama going down.

Today's special: lying.

"Dad, do you think it's ok to tell a lie in order to spare someone's feelings?" Riley asked, picking at her placemat.

"No."

Ryan raised an eyebrow at the question. Did he think it was ok to lie? Of course not. But did he? Yes.

"My feelings? " He reconsidered. When Riley said no, he reaffirmed his previous statement.

Topanga placed dinner on the table, and the main event began.

While Ryan was serving himself and Auggie, Cory was having a harder time accepting the meal.

"What do we have here?"

"Chicken."

"I'll tell you right now, Topanga, this was never a chicken,"

Ryan tuned out the following conversation as he finishes his, admittedly dry, chicken.

"Why don't you just eat it, honey?" Topanga said with a strained smile, looking a second away from force feeding her husband. "I'm looking forward to what you think of it after."

Riley mocked Cory and he dug himself a bigger grave.

Eventually, a second before he goes to stand, his mother stabs the chicken with a carving knife and makes mocking airplane sounds while moving it towards an intimidated Cory.

--

After dinner, a while later, Ryan went to Riley's room to get some notes from Math she borrowed from him.

"You think my dad wouldn't send me stuff?"

Yikes.

Ryan stayed by the door, waiting.

"Maya, you've cried to me about how your dad doesn't send you stuff," Riley said, not taking the situation seriously.

Ryan went to back up but his foot knocked into the door. He stayed frozen as it slowly creaked open.

"Ryan," Riley pointed, "I need a second opinion."

He walked into the room cautiously.

"On?"

"Do you think Maya's dad sends her stuff?" Ryan shrugged.

"I don't really know." Riley rolled her eyes.

"Do you think she stole the locket because I know her dad doesn't send her stuff." Maya was staring out the window, following a pigeon with her eyes.

"No." Riley rolled her eyes.

"Ok, you can go," and she turned to Maya, continuing to interrogate her as if Ryan had never stepped into the room at all. Ryan scoffed and left the room, kicking the door open wider as he went.

Ryan walked into his room and grabbed his phone. He locked the door to his room shut and climbed out his window, making his way to the roof.

Once he got there, he sat on the ground and laid back, doing his best to take in the blurred sounds that combined to make New York.

He never liked his sister treating him that way, as if she were a queen and he was someone expendable, someone to be ordered around and sent away when he was no longer of use.

He sighed heavily and rubbed at his face. He pulled out his phone and scrolled through his contact list, stopping and staring at one in particular.

He opened messages.

Ryan: if you could have one superpower, what would it be

             Flight, or Invisibility

Jeremy: Third Option

Ryan: Wrong, choose one

Jeremy: that's lame

Ryan: Ur lame

Jeremy: r00d

Ryan laughed. Recently Ryan had found that Jeremy had a way of making him feel better, even through text.

Jeremy: flight, only because that's the one that's closer to

                  Teleportation

Ryan: why would u want transport powers

             Use ur legs u NeRd

Jeremy: maybe i'm just lazy

Jeremy: r u saying u'd choose invisibility?

Ryan: yes

             it's obviously the Superior Power

Jeremy: explain

Ryan: bc i can already walk, i can't be invisible yet

To anyone outside his family, he couldn't. His family didn't seem to pick up the message.

Jeremy: fair

                  I still believe transport powers are cooler, tho

Ryan rolled his eyes, smiling.

a/n: god I'm so fucking sorry for the chatspeak, it's how I text and I didn't feel like getting someone else's opinion on how Jeremy should text

 mostly bc they're both nerds and so am i

also, i spent a month? not updating bc bio is a shit subject that i should not be subjected to 

(punnssssss)