9.

"Dude, you scared me," Ryan said, laughing a little. Sarah smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. So, what time did you want to meet at the library to work on the project?" she asked.

Ryan shrugged. "I was gonna walk there with my sister, so let me ask." Ryan turned around to see his sister standing at the lockers a few feet from where he was standing. "Hey, Riley," Riley turned to face him. "When were you guys gonna head down to the library?"

"Around five."

"Cool," Ryan turned around to Sarah, "Around five, I guess." Sarah smiled. "Works for me."

Ryan walked over to Riley and Maya who were talking with Lucas.

"Oh look at that, two thumbs up from Riley," Riley smiled, "And a smiley face."

Lucas walked away.

"Riley, why aren't you talking?" Ryan asked. Maya laughed. "Because Lucas was here and poor Riles can't talk to Lucas like a regular human being."

Riley pouted. "Stop making fun of me." Maya laughed again.

"I'm not making fun of you, Riles, I'm trying to help you understand that the way you're operating now is ridiculous."

Riley sighed. "I know."

--

The Matthews were sitting at the dining table, eating dinner.

"It was a good day, and then my friends treated me nicely, and then my teacher measured us, and then I'm growing. And Jenny Lewis loves me. I think because I'm growing." Auggie said. Ryan quietly laughed over his mashed potatoes. Five-year-olds were the cutest, weren't they?

Riley spoke after him, keeping the same tone but using it to complain about her day.

"It wasn't a good day, and then my friend pulled my hair out, and then my teacher took my phone, and then my teacher was also my father." Riley pointed to Cory, who just looked at her with an offended face.

"At least you're growing!" Auggie said, innocently. Ryan laughed and ruffled his little brother's hair.

Topanga smiled at her daughter. "Honey, please don't come apart, look at this as a beautiful opportunity to spend time with your family."

Everyone at the table smiled.

"Hello, Riley," Auggie said. "Hello, Riley," Ryan copied.

"How you doin'," She asked.

"You wanna hear about my day?" Auggie asked. Ryan smiled widely, "It was a good day," he continued, wanting to annoy Riley as much as possible.

"Mom!" Riley complained. Ryan laughed.

"Forgive her, boys, she just misses her telephone," Topanga consoled. Ryan rolled his eyes. He didn't miss his own phone too much, he was just annoyed at losing the option of having it with him.

"Well, then she can have mine," Auggie passed Riley his play phone.

Riley clicked a button on it. "The cow goes..." the toy said.

"Moo!" Ryan and Auggie chorused. Riley dropped the phone. "I'm not gonna make it!"

"That's what your father thinks," Topanga said. "She can't," Cory said. "Honey, please don't make your father right," Topanga pleaded, "It's no good for any of us if your father is right."

"Mood," Ryan laughed. "There you go with that phrase again! What does it mean!" Cory asked dramatically. "Like I know." Ryan laughed at his father's frustration.