35. Recklessness

"Jesus Christ!"

"God f(orbid) d(onuts)!"

"Levi, hurry the f(all) up!"

"I'm trying!" He struggled to get up the vents. His height had been a disadvantage in this case. I kept glancing back to the end of the vent where I heard gunshots echo throughout the metallic passages.

"Levi, they're getting away-" I urged but he cut me off.

"Godda(mbit) (y/n), I'm trying my f(amily) hardest to get my a(ttention) up this da(mb) vent but you're making me waste time by nagging at me." He snapped. His eyes were angry as he gritted his teeth. His fingers were barely reaching the vent, even with his rabbit-like jumps. I put my hands up in surrender and heard the gunshots get faint.

"Ugh. I'm gonna go ahead, you're taking too long. Meet me outside if you get up." I groaned. I checked for my gun and dagger in my thigh strap and started crawling towards the sounds.

"Hey-HEY! (y/n), you're not going without me! A-Are you listening to me? Godd(umbo)!"

I was already halfway down the vent.

----

I breathed heavily as I flinched away from the gunshot. The dealer's bodyguards had heard me and were starting to shoot up into the vents.

'S(hitaki), s(hirt), s(ketchers)!" I cursed under my breath. A bullet hole appeared right in front of my face and I looked down to see not one, not two, not three, but four men aiming up at the vents.

'Well f(loop de loop),' I thought. 'Looks like we're doing this risqué.' A couple of bullets shot up and loosened the vent I was laying upon. I bit my lip and decided to go with it.

I pushed down multiple times and felt myself fall. I landed on top of one of the guards with a yelp and quickly pulled out my gun. I twisted onto my back and shot two of the guys, wounding them on the arms or legs. I felt myself being pulled out the vent by my legs from behind and was face to face with a guard. I kneed him in the crotch, watching as his face contorted into pain. I pushed myself up and pulled him in front of me, using him as a shield. I felt two shots go into his body and soon he slumped down. I shot one guy in the neck and he fell backward into his own pool of blood.

The guy I hit with the vent threw it off and stood up as I pushed the dead body away from me. The guy stood at full height and - da(y) - he was tall as f(ishes). I gasped as I ducked to avoid his grabby hands, punching him in the chest. He didn't seem fazed but I winced and redrew my hand.

"Jesus Christ, are you made of steel?" I cradled and rubbed my hand as I ducked to dodge the other guy's punch.

"No. Iron." The tall man said and grabbed my arm. The other guy pulled out his gun and aimed at me. I luckily kicked it out of his hand before he could shoot and slid in between the tall man's legs, bringing his arm with me. I kicked behind his knees which made him kneel. I jumped on his shoulders, bending forward to make him face plant into the floor. The other man grabbed me with a knife and managed to graze my leg. I pulled out a dagger and stabbed the other man in the legs and he screamed out in pain. I kneed him in the face, making him fall backward. The taller man grabbed me from behind, trapping me in his arms. I felt him start to crush me and I widened my eyes. I started to struggle while gasping for air as he closed in more and more.

Until Levi fell from the vent and landed on top of the man, knocking him out cold. He landed with a grunt and scrambled out of the vent, dusting himself off.

"Filthy animals..." He muttered and looked up at me. With a glare, he grabbed my arm and pulled me close.

"(y/n), you can't run off like that. Don't ever leave me behind. There's-" He was cut off by a grenade setting off somewhere outside.