2. Hope

I was never the one to talk. I only listened.

I was never the one in action. I only watched.

This all started after being abandoned by my most-likely dead mother. I was homeless for years, surrounded by human ignorance.

I was invisible. I was ignored.

I remember back to the days where I slept in a cardboard box. When I stole food from vendors to survive. Why did I want to stay alive? Because I felt there was something out there for me. A reason for me to live. Something I needed to experience.

Hope resided in me.

So I survived by bread pieces that were half eaten. I took leftover food from restaurants. I lived in alleyways, where no one could hear my cries or see my tears. I remember feeling my stomach growl every time I smelled food. Or the dirt on my body when I was pushed down by crowds of people. The fear when abandoned animals growled at me when I tried to have a bit of their food. The feeling of my unkempt hair filled with dirt and oil. The disgust I felt when men would grin at me when they saw me. Luckily I escaped all of those men without being harmed.

I remember the day I was saved.

Saved by a man named Erwin Smith. His piercing blue eyes and fluffy, clean blonde hair. The way his thick eyebrows rose when he saw me. I still remember that day, it feels fresh in my mind.

And I still cherish that day.

~past~

Crying.

Crying.

Crying.

That's all I did to pass time. When I wouldn't be stealing food; I'd cry. I can hear their mocking voices in my head. Their maniacal laughter and the kicks and punches they'd give me.

'Useless.'

'Crybaby.'

'Monster.'

My eyes widen in fear at the last name. My teeth chattered and I gripped my hair tighter, feeling as if I would rip it out. My chapped lips croak out, "M-mom."

Somehow, a man heard my cry. He cautiously walked into my alleyway and I curled up tighter against the corner of the dumpster. I had hoped the shadows would hide me from the stranger since I was too weak to fight back. But luck was not on my side as it never has. The man spotted me from the corner of his eyes. He turned to me and looked at my fetal position. He got a good look at my bruised, unhealthy body and my lifeless (E/c) eyes. My mouth was slightly open in shock as I stared at him.

His stone hard blue eyes bore into my dark soul. I stared back at him with my dull, (e/c) eyes. He crouched down in front of me and lifted a hand. His hand almost looked like my father's, so I reached my hand out just slightly but quickly yanked it back. I scolded myself for the mistake and cowered even more into the dumpster. It's smelly, cold metal surprisingly kept me calm. The rust grazed my skin as I tried to sink myself into the corner.

After observing me for what seemed like hours, but only a few mere minutes, his eyes softened and a sad smile rose on his face.

"Hello, little one..." His deep voice spoke. I let out a squeak, not expecting him to talk. I saw his sad smile. He pitied me.

Well, he didn't know how long I was it here. How long I've suffered. How long I haven't cleaned myself or ate. I just stared him down as he bit his lip and looked at the entrance of the alleyway. He turned back to me and cleared his throat.