~Best Friends~ Matt King

The sun shone in through the window as you woke up. You looked over to the other side of the bed and saw your best friend since third grade, Matt King, sound asleep. This was very typical of you two, you'd sleep over at each other's house a lot, but recently it had been almost an everyday thing. You didn't mind it, but there were times you'd wake up in his arms and you would feel...different.

Your whole life, you had only seen Matt as a best friend, but you'd wake up in the morning and see him, still by your side. No one had ever done that, been there for you since you were eight years old. But Matt, Matt had always been next to you, never questioning any of it. He took your side over everything, he helped move you out to LA, he helped get your career started. He did everything for you, and you did everything for him as well. 

You decided to get out of bed and make some breakfast for the two of you. You had your own loft in LA, one that was about ten to fifteen minutes from Matt, and you loved being close to him, but you wanted him to be closer. You wanted to live together, you basically already did. You wanted more with him.

You had to stop yourself, were you having romantic thoughts about Matt? The guy you had known forever, the guy that was there when you got your first period, the guy who was there for your first kiss, your first breakup, and everything else. 

You finished breakfast by the time Matt had woken up, you were sitting by the window and thinking about how you truly felt about Matt. You heard his footsteps coming from your bedroom and you quickly got up.

"Good morning !" You chipped. He smiled before chowing down on his breakfast. "How did you sleep?" No response. "I made you blueberry pancakes, your favorite." Still nothing.

You began to worry, Matt was never like this with you you had seen him act like that around others, but even then he was usually still a little upbeat. You watched as he ate his food, he didn't even acknowledge you.

"Matt, I really need to tell you something. I don't know what has gotten into me, but Matt I think I am in love with you. Like madly in love." He froze, slowly looking at you.

"You're in love with me? Ew, no that is disgusting." He scoffed, your heart dropped. He was being so rude, and you couldn't figure out why. 

"What do you mean? Why is that disgusting?" You fought tears back. He pushed his plate, still full of food you made away from him.

"I mean that you and I are not meant to be. You and I have known each other since we were eight. You and I are never going to happen.

His words echoed through your ears until you jolted up in your bed, you noticed you were sweating. You looked to your side and saw Matt, peacefully asleep and the alarm clock read 3:03 am. You sighed, relieved you hadn't lost your best friend. It was only a nightmare. Matt shifted in his sleep, waking up once he noticed you weren't in his arms.

"Y/N?" He muttered. You laid back down next to him, and he draped his arm around you waist.

"Hey, I just had a nightmare. It's okay." You explained. You told him part of the dream, how he finally left you and wasn't going to be your friend anymore.

"Y/N, that won't happen. I haven't left yet and I don't plan on ever leaving." He reassured you, giving you a small peck on your forehead.

"I love you, Matt." You admitted.

"I love you too." He yawned.

"No, Matt...I mean...I am in love with you." You waited a few seconds before he responded.

"Yeah, I know. I am too. I have been since third grade." He chuckled, pulling you closer to his warm, shirtless chest.

"You have?" You gasped. He kissed your head, while running his fingers through your head.

"Yes, I have. Now, let's get some sleep. We can proclaim our everlasting love to one another in the morning, when we both don't have morning breath." You giggled at his silly words, gently resting your head on his chest before drifting off into a deep sleep.