27

*first person*

I spent the night in the caves going over all the grimoires we had stacked by the walls. I poured over every piece of research before I heard my name being called somewhere through the tunnels. Closing the grimoire I had just been looking through I sped to the sound.
"Nik." I said.
"Ami, you look terrible? Did you spend the entire night out here?"
"No, I went to go visit Amira. Then I came here. The caves down here have always been interesting. Abraham and I used to spend hours exploring."
"Come home. I want you with me."
"I have research to do, Nik."
"What kind of research?"
"The kind that you know nothing about."
"I'm not letting you spend you entire day out here. You're coming with me."
"No, Nik. And you can't overpower me."
"That's true, but come on. Mother's throwing a ball tonight."
"You better not be inviting me to come."
"I didn't have the house built so that Esther would stay there. I had it built so that you and our siblings would. And I don't know everything that happened between you and Esther, but you are coming home with me, where you will take a shower, get changed into clothes, give me my card back and spend time with your siblings."
"I'd love to, but I can't."
"Finn said you'd say that."
"I can't say anything for fear of endangering you, but Nik. This is important."
"Elijah doesn't believe Esther's up to no good."
"I know. And whatever she's planning , I have a feeling it's going to go down at the ball she's throwing. So if she offers you any wine, do yourself a favour and don't drink it." I laughed, without humour.
"Since I undaggered you, all you wanted was our family together. Don't let Esther ruin that for you."
"I do want our siblings. All I want to do is spend time with all of you, but there's one thing I have to do."
"Then let us help."
"You can't. Not with this."
"Why not?"
"Because I said so, Nik!"
"One day. Spend one day with us. That's all I'm asking."
"Fine. One day." I said and walked past him.
"So..." He said after the silence became unbearable for him. "Why would Damon think you've been sleeping around?"
"Oh god, please let it go." I said and walked faster.
"I want to know why he'd ever think such vulgar thoughts."
"Nik. Please. You won't like the answer."
"Is he right?"
"Nik, let it go." I said speeding into the house.
"Perhaps I'll just ask Rebekah!" He yelled after me.
"Let it go, Nik. Just stop thinking about it." I called back.
"Ask me what?" Rebekah asked, and I sped back down in between the two of them.
"Whatever Nik asks, please don't reply."
"What does Nik want to know?"
"Damon Salvatore made a remark about our sister enjoying the company of men."
"What?" Rebekah frowned before her eyes widened. "Wait, he doesn't think-? From when he-?"
"Yes." I cut her off.
"And you won't tell Nik because?"
"He won't get it. You barely get it, could you imagine how he'd react."
"Well, it's not like he can do anything to him."
"I don't like this cryptic conversation. Someone just tell me."
"Promise me you won't tell him."
"I make no promises."
"What is going on here?" Finn wondered.
"Niklaus is sticking his nose where it doesn't belong." I explained.
"I just want to know why Damon Salvatore believes you've been dallying around."
"I'm quite curious too." Elijah joined the conversation.
"Damon Salvatore believes what?" I cringed at Finn's loudness.
"Enough. All of you. It really isn't any of your business what I do or what I don't do."
"So you have been enjoying the finer parts of life?" Kol smirked.
"Come with me, Rebekah." I said, attempting to leave the conversation.
"Nik, a few days after you left Mystic Falls, there was a-"
"Rebekah!"
"Oh, what's the harm. And you know they're all going to hound you until you give in."
"I won't give in. I'm pretty good at keeping secrets."
"Then Klaus is gonna find Damon and it'll sound worse from him."
"Fine. There was a spell gone wrong in Mystic Falls. Ghosts materialised. Amongst them was Abraham."
"You slept with Abraham?!" Nik said, visibly angry.
"Look, I get you all hate him. Trust me, I get it, but-"
"No buts, sister. He hurt you, and you're letting him get away with it. What else is there to say?"
"This is why I didn't want to tell you. It's more complicated than a simple separation."
"He dumped you."
"For the good of our son. And you can say what you want, but Abraham chose to put the safety of our son ahead of the both of us, and that's what parents are supposed to do. We were new vampires, with blood on our hands. What if I stayed with Abraham? What if I ended up murdering my own son because the need to feed blinded my love for him?"
"So that means your feelings don't matter? We were there when you cried yourself to sleep every night. How every time you saw a child you'd force yourself to blink back tears. We were there to see how devastated you were, and you're jumping into his bed the first time you see him?" Finn spoke.
"Of course not. It was my bed."
"Oh and that's supposed to make things better?"
"You hate Abraham for protecting our son but not mother for ripping me apart from him?" I crossed my arms, looking at him. "Besides, I think Rebekah let him know what you all think."
"Oh please, I barely did anything. All I did was smack him."
"You slapped him so hard he fell over a table."
"Like I said, he deserved worse."
"And he agreed with you. So all of you stop. So what if I spent some time with my husband? What I do has no consequence on you. So thank you for worrying but please stop."