41

Elena, masquerading as Katherine, stood at the gazebo waiting for Em.
"Come on, Em." She paced, impatiently. Elijah walked up behind her.
"Katerina." He said. Elena, surprised turned around, before recovering.
"Elijah." She said as he walked closer to her. "You're a little late, aren't you?"
"You colored your hair." He stroked her hair. "I like it."
"Thank you. It's actually gonna-" She started but he cut her off with a kiss, catching her off guard.
"I missed you." He said.
"And I've missed you."
"This is an interesting little town you've chosen to settle down in. So do you have it with you?"
"Do I have what?" She asks.
"The cure?" He looked at her and noticed her hesitance. Looking down he noticed her daylight ring.
"It's in a safe place. Why don't I go and get it and I'll bring it back?" She started to walk away, but he grabbed her arm and pulled her back.
"Where's Katherine, Elena?" He said, as she kept silent. He dragged her away and pulled her down an alleyway. His phone started to ring. "Katerina?"
"Hello, Elijah." Stefan's voice came through the phone.
"Where is Katherine?"
"Where's Elena?" Stefan countered.
"Safe. How long she remains so depends upon you."
"Well, I guess the same goes for Katherine."
"Oh, Katherine can take care of herself against the two of you."
"Oh you mean the three of us. 'Cause your little sister decided to join Team Good Guys for the time being." Elijah scowled.
"Put her on the phone." Elijah said.
"Well, she's not here right now. I left her with Damon and Katherine."
"Tell me where they are." He demanded.
"Relax." Stefan said. "No one's gonna get hurt as long as Katherine hands over the cure."
"Do you understand how much my sister despises Katherine? I assure you, Rebekah will end her the moment she ceases to be of use."
"Well, just tell me where you are, and we can talk this through."
"You listen to me very carefully, Stefan. If anything- anything, whatsoever happens to Katherine, I will descend upon Elena." Elijah hung up. Elena was leaning against the wall.
"You're both idiots." She sighed.
"Excuse me?"
"Ugh. What happened to you, Elijah? I mean, I thought you were supposed to be a man of honor, and yet you've been hooking up with Katherine this entire time?" Elena groaned.
"Well, I suppose this man of honour has always shared a connection with Katherine. She contacted me when she learned about the cure. We both thought we could be of mutual use to one another."
"Please. 'Of mutual use'? You fell for her trap just like every other one of those idiots."
"You underestimate me, Elena. I know who she is. I know exactly what she's done."
"And you think she's changed? She's playing you. She lied to you, Elijah."
"She didn't lie to me about your transformation. You're not just a vampire, though, are you? There's something else. You...you're not yourself. You've abandoned your emotions. Why?"
"My brother's dead. Your girlfriend killed him. You didn't know?" She scoffed. "Of course you didn't."
"She lied."
"I hate to say I told you so, but... um, duh!" Elena said. "And you want to know why? She killed him for your sister. I don't know if Amity knows exactly what she's done, but Katherine killed my brother for vengeance. Because we killed your brothers."
"Because you killed Finn. For your sake, we haven't told her of Kol's demise." Elena sat on a step.
"You aren't surprised of Katherine and Amity's friendship." Elena noted.
"No. I suppose if it weren't for Amity, I wouldn't be with Katerina." Elijah said fondly.
"Gross."
"I know what it feels like to lose a brother. And I'm sorry for your pain. I...I only hope that you can find your way back to yourself someday." Elena stood up.
"Just like you hope Katherine will find her way back? You still think that innocent girl you saved from Klaus ages ago is in there somewhere?"
"I'd like to think so, yes."
"She's not. She's a monster now, Elijah. The sweet peasant girl you fell in love with way back when is dead. And she's not coming back."
"I'm not a fool, Elena. Of course that has occurred to me, but what kind of man would I be if I didn't try to find my Katerina beneath this...Katherine façade?"
"You boys are all the same. Damon and Stefan still think that the girl they love is still in here somewhere, too."
"You can't blame them for having hope, Elena. It'd be a shame if the world lost a soul as compassionate as yours."
" 'Your compassion is a gift, Elena. Carry it with you always and forever.' I remember reading that in a letter once."
"Well, the writer sounds positively gifted. I'm sure he meant what he wrote." Elijah smirked.
"I'm sure he did." She agreed. "And it felt good to watch that letter burn, along with my old life and along with Jeremy's body." Suddenly she fell to the ground, her neck, snapped.
"Sorry. I got held up." Katherine said, stand behind Elena's body.
"Katerina!" Elijah scolded, crouching by Elena.
"Oh, come on." She justifies. "She could use a nap. It must be exhausting trying to be me."
"You killed Jeremy Gilbert."
"Yes, Elijah, I killed Jeremy Gilbert, a bombshell I'm sure she just couldn't wait to drop on you. Ironic, since she supposedly doesn't care about anything." She admitted.
"Well, I care. Do you honestly feel nothing for this girl, a girl fated to live the same life that you've endured? And now you've just taken away the last of her family, just as yours was taken away from you."
"Yes, I feel something. Hatred, anger. Your sister has grown on me, okay? And this girl, as a human, befriended her then betrayed her by murdering her brothers. So I do care. But I care about Amity, not Elena. I mean, that night when your father came to kill your brother, your sister saved me because she cared about Elena. She thought I was Elena, and she did what she could. At least when I was human, I didn't betray those I loved. I was betrayed by them, sure, but I cared about them and they screwed me over. So you can take the moral ground Elijah, but I did what I did for Amity. You can judge me all you want for caring enough about your sister to get revenge for her. Because her siblings are the ones pretending Elena's a sweet innocent girl. Going on road trips, defending her." Katherine said in a long speech. "I told you that night, I asked you if you were up for revenge. Well this is my revenge. Making Elena Gilbert suffer the way she made Amity suffer. Besides I didn't plan on killing Jeremy. He was just there. I did what I had to do for the cure. For my survival."
"And is that all I am? A means of survival?"
"Don't let sweet little Elena get to you. She hates me. She wants you to turn against me and convince you that I can't be trusted."
"You haven't answered my question."
"No. Of course you're not a means of survival. You looked out for me when I had no one. You're giving me a second chance now when no one else will. I love you." Katherine placed a hand on his cheek. "Elijah." He pulled his face away from her hand. "You don't believe me."
"I want to. It's my disease. I just keep wanting to believe you, but how can I when at every turn, you give me a reason to doubt you? I don't know you. I don't know if I ever will." He started to walk away but stopped when she called him back.
"Wait. When I first heard of the cure, my first thought was, I can bargain it off to Klaus, for my survival. But that's not what I want to do with it anymore. I want to give it to Amity." Elijah jerked in surprise. "That hasn't even occurred to you, has it? If there's one person who deserves that cure, it's Amity. In a few months, when she gives birth, she can drink the cure, grow old with her child."
"Why do you care so much for my sister?"
"Because she reminds me of my sister. The one that your brother killed. Iliyana."
"I remember you told me about her."
"Every day I get to know your sister, she reminds me more and more of what it was like when I was human. And I don't know why you aren't acting like her brother anymore. She hasn't been in your life in nine centuries but that's no excuse to forget that she's in your life now. So scold me all you want for killing Jeremy. I can honestly say I don't regret it. But that doesn't mean I don't love you, either. I do. I've loved you since I was a human."
"I believe you care for my sister. But I don't know if I can believe you care for me." Elijah walked away.