14

"Bonnie, he's already been through so much. I don't think we should go and ask questions so soon." I warned as she crossed over to Matt. "You already know it's true."
"Not until there's absolutely no other explanation."
"Bonnie, Caroline, um Amity." Matt greeted.
"Matt, something's happened. An invisible force tortured Damon this morning. We're thinking it was a ghost."
"Vicki?"
"He thinks it was Mason Lockwood, but I need to know for sure. Did she contact you?"
"I haven't seen Vicki, I swear. I sent her back like you told me to."
"Are you sure? Because she has just as much reason to haunt Damon as Mason Lockwood does."
"She's gone, Bonnie. If she was here, I'd know it." He shook his head
"Why do you think it's Vicki and not Mason?" Caroline wondered.
"Because if any ghost other than Vicki Donovan has a physical foothold on our side, then that means Amity and Damon are right and something has gone really, really wrong."
"I've had enough of this ghost stuff to last forever. So you guys can leave me out of this one." He left.
"I feel so sad for him. It took a lot for him to send his sister away."
"Yeah."
"So much strength as a man." Even I could tell there was an underlying message in her words.
"I've got a ghost problem to deal with, Caroline. Save the Jeremy lecture for later." Bonnie picked up her bag as though she was about to storm off but it fell open and her grimoire fell out instead. She bent down to put it away, but it opened up.
"Okay, did your grimoire just-?"
"I think so." Bonnie nodded. She picked it up and I peered over her shoulder.
"Okay, please tell me that's a recipe for witch cookies."
"It's a manifestation spell. It's used to reveal veiled matter." I told her.
"What's veiled matter?"
"Ghosts." Bonnie replied grimly. "We need to go to the witch house."
"The witch house?" I asked.
"This is a big spell. I'm going to need as much privacy as I can get. And there's no place more isolated."
"I understand."
"Come on." Bonnie took my hand and dragged me into the woods. Ten minutes later we were stood in front of an old cabin. "This is it."
"This place doesn't look very-"
"I know." Bonnie walked inside and Caroline followed. Shrugging I walked in after them.
"So this is where you brought Jeremy back to life?" Caroline frowned.
"Yeah. Sorry, I know it's creepy, but we needed a private place around here to do the spell."
"Hmm. There's no chance it's haunted by the hundred dead witches who were horrifically burned to death in this very spot, is there?"
"They're not here anymore. And they made it clear they were never coming back."
"Right." Caroline nodded. She paused, suspiciously. "You pinky swear?"
"Yes. Now, just start lighting these candles." Bonnie rolled her eyes she sat down and I sat opposite her. Looking over the spell, I looked at her, making sure she was okay with it. She nodded at me. I held her hands and we started to chant slowly.
"Ready? Do you need me to do-?" She trailed off as she saw Bonnie and I already having started the spell. "Oh. Right. Okay." I smiled at Caroline before concentrating again as the spell intensified. Wind blew around the room, and soon there was a woman who put her hand on Bonnie's shoulder. "Oh, my god! Is that your....?"
"Grams." Bonnie gasped. "Oh my god! Grams."
"Hey, darling." She smiled warmly as Bonnie started to cry.
"I can't believe you're here!"
"Now stop your crying, we don't have time for tears." She looked over to Caroline. "Nice to see you again, Caroline."
"Hi miss Sheila."
"And you must be my ancestor, Amity?" She asked, and I nodded.
"I've heard wonderful things about you." I smiled.
"And I, you. Especially in death." A figure started to appear behind her as she talked.
"Abraham!" My eyes widened as he solidified. I walked over and tentatively reached my arm out caressing his cheek. "I- but-"
"My Queen." He stepped closer. I couldn't help it any longer. I hugged him tight. "I missed you."
"I've missed you too." I sighed in his embrace. "It's been a thousand years. Why is it you are here? How is it you are here?"
"Witches with unfinished business don't move on." He explained.
"A fine mess you've made, honey. The witches told you there'd be consequences to bringing Jeremy back and you did it anyway."
"I didn't have a choice. I love him and I..." Bonnie tried to explain. "I couldn't just let him go."
"I understand. But you cracked open the door to the other side. There's an old witch over here. She took advantage of it. She took advantage of you, honey. When you did that spell to send Vicki Donovan away, she wedged the door wide open, giving a free pass to anybody with unfinished business."
"It wasn't-?" I asked but Sheila nodded sympathetically.
"How do you know this?"
"Witches talk." She shrugged "Even on the other side. Who do you think makes all the rules?"
"What does the witch want?"
"That's Original vampire business, not yours. I don't want you getting in the middle of that. I'm here because you upset the balance of nature. And it's your duty to set it right. You need to close that door."
"Amity, you should spend today with Abraham."
"But the spell-"
"I will fix it." Bonnie insisted.
"I can't-"
"Yes, you can."
"I'm here to help you. I won't just leave."
"It's okay."
"Besides, you won't have long together." Sheila said. "And until we get the witch's talisman, there really isn't much we can do."
"Come, my love." Abraham started to pull me away and I complied.
"If you need me-"
"I will come find you." Caroline said and I let Abraham pull me out.