7

"Well, isn't this cozy?" Stefan said leaning on the doorframe. I stood beside him watching his brother and Elena talk.
"What are you doing here, brother? And who's she?" Stefan walked into the room and poured himself a glass of brown substance.
"Last I checked, I live here. Klaus is gone, but he's asked me to keep watch on you until he returns. From now on, you're under my protection. And, uh, Amity's staying with us for a while. You can find yourself a room." He shrugged, walking back over to me and looked over to Damon and Elena. He held his drink out to them before downing it. "Mmm, by all means. Carry on." He walked out.
"I'm happy to see you're okay, Elena. I apologise for what Niklaus put you through." I said sincerely.
"Thank you, Amity. Um, Damon, Amity's an original, but she was helping us."
"An original helping? Oh, that'd be a first." He scoffed
"I'm just going to get a room. I hope I can get to know you, Elena."
"Why do you even care?" Damon scoffed.
"Because when I was human, my best friend was a doppelgänger. And I have no desire to see her descendant hurt. I owe it to her, to help."
"Thanks." She smiled.
"I'm going to find a place to rest." I said and waved before walking up the stairs.

The next morning, Rebekah and I went shopping for more clothes. When we came back, we went to the boarding house. Rebekah rang the doorbell, and Damon answered.
"Where's Stefan?" Rebekah asked.
"This is his brother, Damon." I told her.
"Who the hell are you?" Damon asked her.
"This is-" I started, but she barged into the house.
"He left me here. My brother actually left me here." She screeched. Damon looked at me and I shook my head, indicating I wouldn't get involved.
"Oh, I'm sorry. Your tone implies that I'm actually supposed to care." I sighed at Stefan's reply.
"So you two are sisters?" Damon scoffed.
"Rebekah. Pleasure I'm sure. Which one's my room?" She asked.
"Rebekah, you can't just state that you're staying over. You have to ask permission." I scolded.
"Oh please, this isn't the twelfth century, sister."
"Amity can stay, but you're not staying here." Stefan scowled.
"Rude. The both of you. I'll see to it myself." She stormed off. I shook my head.
"I'm sorry." I apologised and walked after her. I put my new clothes in my room and went to find Rebekah.
"Don't scold me, sister."
"And why not? Rebekah, you are not behaving properly. You can't just barge into another's home and claim they must allow you to stay."
"Oh please. If it were others, sure. But this is Stefan. I need a place to stay, he has a big house." I shook my head and walked to my room. I changed my clothes and walked down to the kitchen. I could not recognise anything. I walked to a tall rectangular box with handles and pulled on it. It gave way, and there were a lot of different foods in there. It was cool. I suppose it had been invented to keep foods from spoiling or heating. I closed the box.
"You know, you really shouldn't be in here alone." Damon called. "You might hurt yourself."
"Will you teach me how to navigate this kitchen without hurting myself?" I asked and he nodded.
"You like cooking?"
"I've always loved it. It calms me. It's like, when I'm cooking, I can just forget everything and focus on what I'm about to make."
"Are you any good?"
"I believe I am, but I suppose it depends on each person."
"I suppose. What did people say?"
"I was always asked to cook at village events."
"Just you?"
"Tatia usually helped. She's Elena's ancestor."
"Sounds like you guys were close."
"We were. When her husband died, she and her daughter, Starr, stayed with us."
"She was married?"
"Yes. And so was I. This was the tenth century, Damon. People were married by their twentieth summer. Unless they were male."
"Right, of course."
"Tatia died young, however. When my mother used her blood to put the curse on Niklaus. Seeing as she was a good family friend, my husband took Starr in, adopted her. She grew up with my son as brother and sister. Our families have been close since."
"Pretty sure doppelgängers aren't usually friends with you originals."
"I'm talking about my husband. My son. Not my siblings." I smiled. "So where are the girls- Elena, Bonnie and Caroline."
"They're at school, but unfortunately you're too old to attend."
"I'm aware. When do they finish?"
"Why are you so hell bent on being friends?"
"I'm not my brother, or my sister. It may be a thousand years since I lived in here but not much has changed. You have the werewolves, and the doppelgängers, and the Bennett witches."
"So you want to move back? That's your plan?"
"I do. This place was my home. I spent a century on the run, and it really wasn't fun."
"Why haven't we ever heard of you?"
"Because my siblings kept me daggered for nine hundred years."
"You mean your brother?"
"They all decided keeping me daggered was a good idea. That wasn't just Niklaus."
"I'm so sorry."
"Yes, well, I'm awake now, and I want to learn how to use these strange devices."
"Well, this is a stove. It's got fire to heat up your food."
"Okay."
"This is a toaster-" and for a few hours, Damon taught me how to use the appliances, before I started cooking myself.