When One Player Meets Another It Becomes One Hell of a Game (Chapter 8)

Chapter 8

(Summer's Point of View)

"Unicorns," I couldn't help but mumble under my breath as I stood at the front of the school, where Max had called me to come, "are more believable than this." Honestly, I wanted to pinch myself and make sure I wasn't dreaming, because what I was seeing couldn't physically be possible.

But it was. Max really was standing there, in front of the limo he hated to use in public, with a bouquet of roses, and it really was all for me. As I walked down the steps, to the limo, with all the students who still remained eyes on me, I couldn't think that maybe I had it wrong.

Maybe all of that, was for some model who was standing conveniently near me, and who was, at the last minute, going to rush up take the bouquet and ride off with Max. But Max wasn't looking next to me, or behind me, he was looking right at me with an almost apologetic glance.

"Uhhh... Max?" I asked, with a confused glance around me. "What's this all about?" But Max only gave me the bouquet, and then gestured to the car, "Get in."

I blinked, biting my lip, but got in anyways. Holding the roses delicately as I slid in, I turned to Max who was closing the door behind him. "Where are we going?" I asked, and he shrugged, "I told Fredrick to surprise me."

"Fredrick?" I asked. "Fredrick as in your private jet pilot?" Max shrugged, "Yeah, that's about right." I looked at him.

"Where are we going that would require a private jet?" I asked in shock, and Max shrugged. "Didn't I just say that I didn't know?" He told me and I felt the limo pull away from the curb.

"Uhh..." We're he anyone but Max, I would've been demanding to go home like now. But this was Max we're talking about here. You don't demand from Max, Max demands from you.

I settled back into the seat, a let out a soft sigh. It was not soft enough though, for the moment it passed my lips, Max's eyes snapped to me, "What?" he asked. I just shrugged not wanting to say anything, "Nothing."

Max raised an eyebrow. "Somehow," he said, "I don't think this is 'nothing'." And I rolled my eyes. Of course it wasn't nothing. The only reason I was holding my tongue was to keep Deanna from getting in trouble.

"Summer?" Max asked, and I turned to him completely and utterly unamused. "Yes?" I asked him, and he looked at me with a peculiar stare. Finally he said, "I'd come to gather from yesterday night..."

I blushed, instantly thinking of my outburst, "Forget about yesterday night." I mumbled. To my somewhat surprise Max shook his head, "No. I don't think I will, because you see Summer..." He paused for a moment before saying, "I've seen that obviously you have a lot of pent up, aggressive, emotions against me, and I've come to the realization that threatening your best friends isn't the way to go about getting rid of those feelings so..."

Max bit his lip before he mumbled something unintelligible. With a confused frown, I leaned in closer to hear. "I'm sorry. I didn't catch that, what did you just say?" I asked and Max sighed.

"I said," he stated, "that I'm sorry."

Instantly I jumped away from him, stunned, and just a little bit suspicious. Max? Apologize? Never. "Ok, what's up?" I asked. "You are NOT the type to apologize." I crossed my arms over my chest and gazed at him with a speculative glare, and he only shrugged.