When One Player Meets Another It Becomes One Hell of a Game (Chapter 7)

Chapter 7

(Summer's Point of View)

I woke up in the morning feeling like I had been run over by an 18-wheeler, crushed and bruised, but alive... just barely. Today, I honestly, and seriously, considered skipping school.

What was the point? I wouldn't be able to look Deanna in the eyes, thinking my selfishness and anger had almost ruined her life, and I couldn't even glance at Will, because that would REALLY ruin her life.

And I couldn't look at Max at all without feeling like I was going to be sick, and since I was basically near him 24/7 avoiding him was not an option.

How long would my life be like this? A string of events that were caused me an uncontrollable amount of pain? I was sick and tired of not having a choice, no; actually I was sick of having choices that either way was the wrong one.

Stand up to Max; hurt someone else but be freed. Don't stand up to Max; hurt myself and have everyone be left alone, but make them all mad at me for not standing up for myself.

How was it that the seemingly weak choice was the right one in my mind? But the one that used strength was so very wrong? I shook my head letting my lids shut softly, my head resting on my pillow.

This was too much to think about, way too much to think about at this time in the morning. So, I did the only thing I could do, I got up. I was going to go to school. Deanna was right, I did have a choice; I could wallow here in my misery or I could face all my problems head on.

And since I knew either way I could hurt someone's feelings, I didn't care anymore about the consequences. I was going to do the strong thing. I was done with being the damsel in distress, or at least, I had finally realized it was time to save myself.

I dressed quickly, pulled my hair up into a quick, sloppy ponytail, and charged downstairs to eat something quickly. To my surprise, I found my brother in his boxers sitting at the table eating frosted flakes, and my sister in a bathrobe sitting across from him, chewing on a bagel.

I blinked slowly, my mouth parting in a questioning gape. "What are you two still doing home?" I finally managed to ask, and my younger brother and sister looked up at me, eyes wide with surprise. I guess they didn't think I was still here.

"Sick." June spoke quickly, while Jake said, "No school." I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at them, "Both of you had different answers. What's going on here?"

"Uh... we're sick, so there's no to school?" June asked hopefully, and I nodded slowly, with raised eyebrows, "So, both of you, just happened to get sick the same day?" Jake shrugged, "It happens."

I rolled my eyes, "Uh-huh." June apparently, knew that I knew that they were completely, and totally faking. "Please don't tell Mom." She pleaded with big doe eyes, and Jake who had also decided to give up on faking, nodded, "Or Dad. Please?"

I sighed, grabbing a yogurt from the fridge, I took a seat with them at the table, "I won't..." And while my brother and sister thanked me profoundly, I just shrugged, and wished that I hadn't made the choice to go to school, and instead stayed home with them. I'd like to be (pretend) sick too, but since I wasn't really sick, and I'd already made up my mind, I was going.

June cocked her head to the side as she looked at me, "You're staying home too right?" I shook my head and watched as her eyes widened. "What," I asked quickly, looking around, "What's wrong?"

"You're going to school dressed like THAT?" She shrieked, her voice raising half an octave on the last word, and I winced, while Jake rolled his eyes. "What's wrong with her going to school like that?"