When One Player Meets Another (Chapter 10)

<Chapter 10>

(Summer’s Point of View)

When I awoke the next morning, I found that I couldn’t move. I wasn’t sure why until I looked around and found that the pillow wall I made last night had been demolished, and Max had his arms wrapped around me.

“Max!” I screeched. “GET OFF ME!”

I heard a deep intake of breath as his smooth voice rolled over me, “Good morning to you too.” His words tickled the back of my neck.

“You said you wouldn’t do anything.” I exclaimed, squirmed in his grasp, and even with my back to him I could hear the grin in his voice as he spoke.

“This? You think this is something? This is the fact that you were warm and I was cold last night and nothing more.” He told me and his head nuzzled into my back.

I shivered, but not from the cold of which he spoke. “Then,” I said tersely, “Why haven’t you let go of me yet?”

Max let out a sigh of exasperation, “I told you. You’re warm, and I’m cold.” I seriously wanted to kick him in the face. Then by chance, to make matters worse, I glanced at the clock. “MAX!” I cried out again, even louder this time.

“What?” Max groaned back, “I thought we were done with all the yelling.”

“Max it is eleven o’clock Tuesday morning, we have school today! Did none of this occur to you?” I demeaned.

He sighed, released me, and sat up and sleepily rubbed his eyes. “Didn’t we already discuss this?” He asked groggily, and my eyes narrowed.

“If we did, I don’t recall. Please refresh my memory.” I snapped.

He sighed once more and I rubbed my temples while he explained, “I called your parents, they agreed to this. I also called the principle and he said ok…”

“My PARENTS said ok to this?” I demanded, and Max rolled his eyes.

“Summer, we’ve been dating 5 years, your parents are ok with us doing anything, since I’m sure they’re sure that we are gonna get married one day.”

I gagged and he looked at me, eyebrow raised, “What?”

“Um, yeah, I think I just threw up in my mouth is all,” I waved my hands, “By all means continue.”

“Your friend Deanna is taking notes for you-“

“She is?” I demanded, “You didn’t bribe my teachers? For real?”

Max shrugged, “You said you wanted me to be cheap, so I asked her to take notes and told your teachers you’d catch up. If you want me to bribe them still then...” He said reaching for his phone.