When One Player Meets Another It Becomes One Hell of a Game (Chapter 1)

When One Player Meets Another It Becomes One Heck of a Game by: Faerie_Writer

Chapter 1

(Summer's point of view)

Things changed for the worst that September 18th, five years ago. Funny how I remember the date so clearly over others, but I suppose it's kind of like how you remember a nightmare over a dream. The horror you feel is so much more overpowering, that the nightmare just sticks to your brain like, for instance, the date of a disaster.

September 18th.

Five years ago, that was the date of a certain Jeremy Hall's party. I was in 6th grade then, much younger and unwise then I am now at the ripe age of 16. Too much younger and unwise to realize it would be stupid to fall for a guy like Max Williams.

But I had fallen for him, fallen for him hard.

Thoughts and fantasizes of him kept me awake at night and I sure didn't pay attention in class anymore as I daydreamed of his perfection. I wasn't the only one to fall for Max though, which was my biggest disadvantage when it came to him.

I thought the chance of me being with him was like a large rainstorm covering and watering the whole Sahara Dessert; slim to nothing. I was pretty but in no way was I the prettiest, and I was smart, but not the smartest. I figured why would Max, who could have the best, settle for less then perfection?

Of course, even if something is slim to nothing, that means there is still a slight chance upon something magical happening. And happen it did on that September 18th five years ago. My dreams came true and formed what is now my inescapable nightmare.

Five years ago, today, Max Williams asked me out.

Allow me to explain.

I went to Jeremy's party with my two closest friends who at the time were Molly Sanchez and Deanna French. I say 'at the time' because only Deanna and I are still friends now. Molly and I have drifted apart for very obvious reasons...

Which I will explain later. For now just think I was at the party with them.

Now being my best friends, they were very, painfully, aware of the affections I harbored for Max Williams. They also knew I never thought he would look my way once in my life, and they figured they had to do something.

They decided upon a dare.

I had been sitting on a blue couch at the edge of where everyone had formed into a dance area, when it happened. I had been staring across the room at Max who was surrounded by a group of his friends, and I had let out a longing sigh. The two girls had heard this, and thinking it the perfect time, came over and dared me to ask Max out.

I thought they were crazy but they insisted that Max never refused a girl who asked him out.

"Yeah!" I had exclaimed. "All the girls who ask Max out are upper classmen, or super smart, or super pretty of course he wouldn't reject those. I'm none of that, what's to keep him from rejecting me?"

"You're pretty, don't you remember how jealous I've been of your shade of brown hair. I mean it's like a nutmeg color while mine looks like I dipped it in mud." Deanna had been quick to assure me.

"Yeah! And your eyes are like really pretty sapphires, not to mention you beat me in every test in school..." Molly had exclaimed like that was saying something. Molly was NOT the brightest crayola in the crayola box. She made D's or F's on everything.

I'm not saying I was the brightest either. With a few A's and mostly B's scattered across my report card, I absolutely wasn't the smartest kid in our school. The only thing I was best at was I was the hardest worker. Something Max later learned to appreciate me for...