When One Player Meets Another It Becomes One Hell of a Game (Chapter 6.5)

Chapter 6.5

(Max's Point of View)

I listened as the door clicked shut behind Summer, and when it did, and I was sure she was gone, I let out a loud stream of curses aimed at myself. Only an idiot would think I just hadn't messed up right there.

And I was no idiot, despite what one might think. I clenched my fists, at this rate; I would drive her away, straight in that filthy rat's arms...

And as if on cue, applause started up from the shadows, and out of them stepped the exact rat I was talking about; Will Marks.

"Way to go dude. You threatened her best friend, I'm sure she LOVES you now." Will chuckled as he strutted over to me still laughing. "Shut up." I snapped, "You don't know anything." I wanted to kill him, but decided not too, seeing how well that had worked earlier today.

"And neither do you. I mean, I've only talked to her like what, twice, and even I know that even if Summer loathed you to the ends of Mars, she would never cheat on you. Ever." Will stated, and I looked away.

"I know that." I said softly, and Will looked at me as though he didn't believe it. "If you knew," he stated, "then why did you yell at her like that?"

"None of your business." My personal life was personal for a reason. "And what are you doing here anyways?"

Will shrugged, "It's not that hard to follow someone you want to keep eye on. Especially not when you're me... you just make few calls, drop a few names, and suddenly everyone is dying to tell you whatever you want to know."

He shot a grin at me, "From then on you just keep an eye on the target and it's all good." I rolled my eyes, "Your 'target' is gone. You suck at keeping watch."

"My target Max is you." Will said with a serious stare at me, and instantly I backed up, "Sorry man, I respect your views but I don't bat that way, I do have a girlfriend after all."

Will rolled his eyes, "No you idiot, I'm watching you because I know I can make Summer fall for me... but your actions are what I'm weary of... though, apparently I have nothing to be worried about. With how you just treated her, Summer is going to be mine."

"Shouldn't you stop messing with her?" I asked, and Will looked at me, "Huh?"

"I mean you don't even like her like that." I told him, "It's not fair to her." Will snorted, "Like you're the best judge of what's 'fair' and besides... I do like her."

"You've only known her one day!" I protested, and Will just gave gentle smile. "That's why I want her... to me she is proof that love at first sight exists." He went silent, and I allowed that to soak into my brain. He liked her. He actually liked her.

Looks like the stakes just rose.

"Hey... I have a question, why have you never kissed her before?" He suddenly asked, breaking the silence and at the words I turned away from him.

"Because," I said as I stared up at the sky, "she isn't mine, and when I have to return her to the innocent world from which she came, I'd rather leave her with as few unpleasant memories as possible. Besides she obviously hates me... she came from a different world from us. From me. A kiss to her, should only be shared between two people who care for each other. She's not the type of person who'd want their first kiss to be with... with someone they hate."

"Insightful." Will responded, and I shrugged, "I have my moments."

"Are you sure, you want to just let her go?" He asked.

"Yeah, one day, but that day isn't today Marks, so don't count me out just yet." I told him, as I shifted my gaze to glare back at him.

"I wouldn't dare Williams." Will said with a grin, "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah." I said, as Will left the rooftop, and it seemed like that momentary guy-to-guy truce we had was over, and the game was back on. And considering that the stakes had just risen, I was going to have to bring my A-Game.

Will may not be worried about me, but I was going to make him worry. I had to. I had to keep Summer by my side.

That last thought shocked me, it was so fierce, as though I couldn't bring myself to let go out of Summer. Why? I mean, if she was just a pawn to me, I could replace her, couldn't I?

Couldn't I?

And the fact, that I didn't have answer to the question I normally would have said yes to, scared me a little more than the fact that Will had names to drop and confidence of a god.

Who the heck was Will? For that matter, who the heck was I becoming? And with that I gave one final look at the stars hoping that, perhaps, they would spell out answers with their sparkling glory.

They didn't. And with a sigh I left the roof, while pulling out my phone. I had no time for troubling thoughts. I had to make Summer my only focus now, I had to make it up to her so she'd fall in love with me. "Hello." A voice answered on the other line, and I was quick with my request, "Fredrick... I'm going to need the private jet ready for tomorrow afternoon... Where to?

"Surprise me."