27. Office Romance

He was the one to break eye contact. He pulled back all the way frantically.

"You're right. I-It's getting late. G-Goodnight." He stuttered out the door.

I propped up with my elbows and whispered goodnight as well, as he closed the door.

Why is my heart beating so fast? Are cheeks still red?

I shook my head, it must because I'm mad at him.

I told myself anything so that I could sleep better.

The next morning we ate our breakfast in awkward silence, only speaking to ask simple questions.

Our ride to work was somewhat better since only romantic songs only came on the radio to fill the quietness.

My day went by normally as soon as I got yelled at by Sophie for not being fast enough first thing in the morning. But I know she's just jealous of me because Zane drives me to work - spidey senses.

It's around 1:30, normally the time when we get a lot of traffic is at 10 on weekends and right now. And Sophie has not stopped breathing down my neck.

Her eyes have been burning into me that I've dropped a smoothie, broken a glass, and got the wrong order.

"Reina!" She angrily whispered as she bent down to clean my mess.

"Oh, I'm so sorry" I groaned, apologizing mostly to the man had a stawberry-banana stain on his shoes.

"What is your problem today?" She asked me by the counter when we were getting more rags and napkins to clean. All I could do is shrug.

After working here for only 3days, I have never been this clumsy. I do admit that I've had a lot on my mind, especially since last night.

I got myself smiling and blushing when I got up to throw away the last of the messy rags and napkins.

Ugh, seriously Reina. What's with you?

After it started to slow down for the day and my brain was back on track, Nate came in with a poodle. Yes, that's right, a poodle. I went to confront him but Sophie beat me to it.

"What do you think you're? Bringing a dog indoors?" Sophie asked very annoyed.

"I came to surprise you." Nate answered with a dumb smile on his face.

I just continued to see it play out while making some more smoothies.

"Surprise me with a dog?"

"Yeah. You said yesterday that your favorite dog was a poodle even though you've never met one. So~ I asked my cousin to let me borrow one from his shelter." His explanation only gained pursed lips and crossed arms from Sophie.

"Listen. I don't know how you know that, but you really need to get the dog outside."

"What?" He asked confused. He shook his head to continue, "No, not until you promise me a walk in the park with Harry." He said petting the poodle.

Oh crap. I must've erased their entire conversation when I cleared her memory of the morning of the 'robbery'.

Feeling guilty, I entered their conversation, "Nate? You really need to take uhm...Harry outside. We don't know if any of us is uncomfortable with a dog and plus dog hair could be flying around" I whispered, "why don't you come back after hours."

He only sighed, "Fine. Let's go Harry." He turned to walk out but accidentally ran into Katie,one of servers that had tray full of drinks.

Most of the drinks fell into Nate and Harry but, like always that one drop ruins everything. Katie was spewing out apologies and Nate basically running out from embarrassment.

Before running to hide in the office, I gave Sophie a little nudge so that she can go check on him.

As soon as I landed on my face after locking the door behind me I heard voice outside from the crack of the circle window above the tall office chair.

"Hey wait, Nate. I still can't figure out how you knew -" I heard Sophie's muffled voice

"Uhh,you told me." He responded as if he wanted to add a 'duh' in the end like a teenage girl.

"But. I appreciate the gesture. I get off at 8 and I would like to hang out with some more... Harry, aren't a cutie." She said in a baby voice to the barking poodle.

"Aww they make a cute couple." I thought aloud after feeling their racing hearts and blushing.

Then suddenly the chair spun around to face me. "Yeah, that's rare for Nate." Rikki said.

I jumped in my scales because I thought I was alone. "Jeez, you scared me! What are you doing here anyways?" I asked her while she was kneeling down by me.

"Eavesdropping. like you." She started to dry my tail, "And Zane asked me to babysit while he went out." She explained, tapping my knees and jumping up, signaling my feet were where they're supposed to be.

"Oh. Do you where he went? When he'll come back?" I asked in a cautious tone.

"No," she chuckled, "why? You miss him already." She joked around, sitting back down at the desk.

"Heh, no" I said nervously, "I was just wondering. Ehm, thi-thinking about adding something to the menu." she obviously saw something was wrong when my voice cracked.

I didn't know what was going going on with me today.

I must be from all that romance that I've been picking up from Sophie and Nate. I must say that that couple was a surprise, but now that I think about Nate has been looking at Sophie lately whenever he sang backup to Bella's romantic songs.

Rikki stayed quite for a bit, but eventually ignored my bad acting.

"Hey, after work do want an official tour of Mako island and the town?"

"Sure, that'll be great!" I responded.

--------At the same time-------

"Caleb! There you are." Zane called while taking the empty seat by the window in a local bakery.

Caleb, who was picking at his chocolate muffin, asked in a confused manner, "Zane? What are doing here?"