17. The calm before the storm

I woke up to my 5th  morning here in Australia.

I have woken up in a cave, on the floor, twice in the guest bedroom. But today on the sofa, although I had a crick on my neck, was the best place.

After a long night, anyplace is comfortable, but after a scary night not just anyplace feels safe. But fortunately the second part wasn't true last night.

To my right was Zane asleep under the shared blanket, on the opposing side of the long white sofa.

I wonder when we got a blanket and when we turned off the tv and lights.

I got up from my laying down position very slowly so I wouldn't wake him up by accidentally kicking him.

I stood up and stretched after seeing on the wall clock that it's was 10:30.

I walked behind the couch, glanced at Zane repositioning his arm to cover the sunlight coming through the window behind the tv.

I made my way to the kitchen and made my cereal quietly, and ate it in silence. Just staring off into the distance, daydreaming about anything.

¿How rich would I be in London in 1890's?
And
¿Does Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver ever meet their half sister, Polaris?

You know - the usual.

Zane finally woke up after I washed my dishes - with gloves, of course.

"Good morning." I said, walking over to the dining table to sit.

"Ugh" he groaned while rubbing his stiff neck, "Hey."  He got up from  the couch and turned on the tv. An old episode of 'Spongebob' was on.

He went to the kitchen and got himself a glass of orange juice.

"Did you got us a blanket last night?" I asked and he nodded in response, "Why didn't you just go to bed? You didn't have to stay here with me the entire night." I said while fiddling with my fingers.

"I- uhh..."

We heard the front door unlock, making us move in closer to it, wondering who it could be.

"Oh! Good morning." Said Zane's soon-to-be stepmother, Candy.

She had on sunglasses to cover her puffy tired eyes, a pink loose night dress and creme color thin sweater, paired with her white tote bag.

"Goodmorning" I smile politely.

"I can't stay long. I have my friends waiting for me in the car." She said as she set her bag down on the coffee table, making her way to her room.

"Where are you going" I asked from the living room.

"I'll be taking a mini - vacation to a spa resort." She said. I saw her walk by the door, disappearing back and forth to pack all her things.

"Seriously!?" Zane asked annoyed.

"What? It gets lonely without your father here" she stop pacing, pokes her head out the door, "and spending 3 months with you?...it'll feel like an eternity."

"Well, how long will you be gone?" I asked to lighten the mood.

"Oh~ I don't know." She said taking her duffle bag to the door way, "maybe a week." She responded

"Make it two." Zane muttered loudly.

Earning an eye roll from both of us.

"Geez, Zane" I whispered to him, slightly hitting him on his arm.
"Have nice trip, Candy."

"Well thank you, ReinaYou'll take care of this guy, right?"

I nodded to her sarcastic question.  And waved her goodbye as she went to her friends' car.