29. Trouble in paradise

After see no one around, we jumped into the water. We only slowed down when we were far from the shore but still not close enough to Mako island.

The only time I went swimming as a mermaid was in the cave where I turned. I don't count my escape as a swimming trip because I can't even remember it.

For the first in 2 and half months, I felt happy, free from any worries. My time with my aunt Carla was fun, but my cousin Christina was always ruining the mood.

I had already graduated in May, and Christina's graduation wasn't until early June. She would always make me take her shifts at the restaurant, claiming she needed more time to study, when in reality she went to parties with her older friends. Always getting in trouble.

She was honestly a nightmare, but being here in a whole new world with the incredible flora and fauna of the ocean, I can't help but to lose track of time.

When I poked my head back up to the surface I saw the Moon starting to rise above the horizon. I told Rikki that we should head to the island.

We went underwater and she motioned me to follow her. She was a super fast swimmer that she actually had to turn back to hold my hand as we went on into an underwater cave.

At first I was hesitant because it looked scary and dangerous in the dark water. But then she dragged me in and I saw that it was the entrance to the Moonpool in the island.

Up on the surface was Zane and Caleb waiting. Caleb had his feet in the water, kicking slightly, almost hitting me as I popped up. Zane on the other side was laying on the sand looking up into the night sky through the mouth of the volcano.

"Oh you're here!" Exclaimed Caleb. Zane jumped up from the ground.

"Finally." He sighed. "You're late."

"Really? Well, you know, we don't have any watches on." Rikki said sarcastically, sitting on the underwater bench.

"Right. And it's mainly my fault. Anyways where are the others?" I pulled myself up onto the sandy surface. Zane decided  to help pull me far from the water only after Caleb pulled already helped me out.

"Will called. They said that they were at the cinema. Also losing track of time." Zane rolled his eyes.

"What is so important anyways. Why couldn't you just tell us over the phone?" Rikki asked in a bitter tone.

"Because this can change the course of the mission!" Caleb said, "Why aren't guys taking this seriously!?" He was a nerves wreck.

"Why do you care so much? It's not like your Will be other if this ends badly?" Rikki asked.

"Might as well be..." He muttered. I looked on in confusion.

"Rikki. Why are you in a bad mood?" I towards her. She was playing with the water in her hands.

"Because, don't we need a break? What we did just now, reminded me to love my mermaid self. But constantly being reminded of the dangers, like what happened yesterday and setting up secret meetings... It can get overwhelming." Rikki went on.

We can feel her sincerity, that the whole place went quiet than usual.

"And that's why Bella, Will, Lewis, and Cleo are all having fun to forget about what has happened so far this week. They're trying to remember to be free." I continued her thoughts.

Zane and Caleb hanged their head low. They understand now.

After a moment of silence, Zane spoke again in an authoritative voice again, "Never the less, thing like these are important for a reason. they must be talked about.

 Caleb looked at his watch, "It's already 7:20. we were supposed to meet at 6:45." he announced.

I bit my lower lip and exchanged a glance with Rikki. She shrugged as if saying 'not my fault we had fun.' I guess she didn't know we were that late either.

"Let's give them a few more minutes and if they don't come then..." Zane continued in a tired voice, rubbing the bridge of the nose.

"Sorry we made you wait so long." I felt sorry for them. they must have felt as if we didn't take them seriously.

Caleb looked up at me surprised.

"I know that I said that you wouldn't go through this alone, Caleb. I really do mean it, I hope you know that." I said in a soft voice while making eye contact so that he can be sure that I'm serious.

He smiled shyly and whispered "I know."

Can feel Rikki and Zane staring at us and then at each other, wondering since when we're so close.

Rikki broke my eye contact with Caleb with her swishing of the water.

She had moved closer to my tail that was right in front of the Moonpool. She stretched out her hand and I felt a warm sensation going up my tail.

After the steam was thin again I had returned to my human form. 

After a few minutes of walking around, sitting at different spots in the cave, and Rikki having legs again, the rest of the group have finally came.

Cleo and Bella popped from the water, Lewis  and Will from the cave opening.

Groans and sighs of relief  from the rest of us were heard.

"Sorry we're late." Bella said from the water.

"Don't worry about it." Zane  said with a wave of his hand.

The guys were getting the heavy tails of the other mermaids onto land so that we can all talk at the same eye level.

"So what's with secret meeting?" Asked Will after everyone settle down.

"Well, I contact Caleb earlier today because I wanted to makes tweaks to your old plan." Zane explained.

"Thought it would be best if everyone can know about it all at once so we can get started sooner." Continued Caleb.

"What is it? What did you add?" Cleo asked looking at me and Rikki.

"We don't know yet..." I said directing my attention to Zane and Caleb.

"We think adding Will with Caleb undercover would be best." Zane said confidently.

Shocked sounds from everyone broke out. Protests and criticisms poured into the quiet cool August night.

Everyone was wonder if he was completely out of his mind!