28. One hour day off

At 5'o clock, Zane had come back from his errands. I was still serving the customers but could overhear what Zane and Rikki were saying. 

"what have you been up to?" asked Rikki as she was about to step out of the office.

"Mmh? No, nothing." He clearly has his mind somewhere else, "Thanks for looking after the cafe, Rikki."

"sure, no problem." She responded, "Happy to help." 

but before she can walk any further Zane called her back, "Do you think you can gather everyone. I have something to tell you all. Meet back here at 6ish, Yeah?" He ordered.

"Zane," Rikki said in a disappointing tone as she walked closer to him with her eyes stuck to the floor, "what I did today was a favor." she put her hands on her hip and gave a glare, "I'm not your personal assistant." 

Zane was left dumbfounded. He blinked his way back to earth. Rikki shouted from the side door, "Besides everyone is busy. Cleo and Lewis are on a double date with Bella and Will. Oh and Reina!" she called out to me, I pretended as if I was just listening in, "I'll come pick you up to show you around when your shift ends." I nodded, "And I'll bring you some fresh clothes."she whispered and left after waving us goodbye.

Zane shook his head regretting their conversation. He took out his phone and started dialing as he walked in. I wonder what he wants to tell us, and where was he all day?

  I went back to work excitedly, even if it was a Tuesday. Mainly it was about my little tour later today. I could finally enjoy the gold coast of my dream place Australia. I know that literally everything can kill you here but I can look past that when I'm surrounded by a metropolis full of friendly people and  the great blue water, even though I can't enjoy it in public but loving it comes naturally when you're half fish.
---
Zane pulled his phone up to ear and heard 3 rings. He was about to hang up until a familiar voice picked up.

"Hello?" Said Lewis on the other line.

"Hey it's me. Can we all talk? It's important." Zane explained.

"Sure...wait, right now?" Lewis asked confused.

"Well yeah. You see, when something is important it's needs urgent attention." He continued in a sarcastic tone.

"But we're kind of busy-" He tried to explain

"Urgent attention, Lewis." Zane quickly cut him off.

"Ugh. Fine. When? Where?" Lewis finally gave up.
-----

At 5:40, I waited for Rikki to come back. It has been 10 minutes after my shift and I honestly couldn't sit still. I kept on moving and pacing, indoors and outdoors.

Finally 5 minutes more, Rikki came to pick me up in her... motorcycle? Honestly, she looked so cool. She had a green camouflage tank that had some rips along her side and a jagged hem layered over a plain white tank top. She had it paired with black jeans to top off the edgy look.

"Nice ride." I chuckled.

"Thanks, she is my dad's bike Here you go, fresh clothes. Hurry up and change." She said as she passed me a plastic bag full of clothes.

I went inside peeking at the contents while Rikki took off her helmet and turned off the bike.

I went to the bathroom to change and Rikki sat at one of her tables to stare at her phone. Probably playing that one game that everyone is obsessed over, too bad I can't join the craze.

after changing, I checked myself out. Rikki and my style really are similar. She gave me some blue jean shorts with white fade polka dots patterns throughout, it matched the dark blue tank top that went under a white sheer button-up shirt. I put on some black crew socks to go with my combat boots. I slipped on my jacket and went out of the bathroom with my old clothes now in the plastic bag.

I was about to call out to Rikki but at the same time Zane popped out from his office. 

"Oh hey, Reina." He greeted me as he intercepted my path. "Umm, can you ask Rikki to meet me and the other on Mako island? It's urgent," he said in a worried tone.

"Why don't you? she is literally 5 feet away from you." I pointed at a groaning Rikki, she probably lost the game.

"I already tried." he sighed, "Earlier today, my tone was off and it rubbed her the wrong way." I can tell why. I can just feel his regret and panic oozing from him. 

" Okay, I'll ask her. What time?" I asked as I started walking.

"Don't know, in an hour." Zane said a few steps behind me. I did a full 360, making him bump against me.

"What?" I whined, "That's barely enough time to drive to the place that I actually want to go. Let alone..." I sighed disappointedly. I glumly made my way to Rikki.  

"Hey, are you ready for the tour?" she said with a kind smile.

"No, not really we have to be in a meeting in an hour." I said in a sad tone making her face confused.

"Huh?" she expressed, standing up and putting her phone her jacket.

"Yep. on mako island. everyone including us has to be there. Zane said that it's important." I explained.

"He's still on that?" she muttered, "Doesn't he know what a day off is?" she was about to confront Zane who was talking to Sophie at the counter.

"No, Rikki it's fine. You can give me a tour some other day." I said grabbing her shoulder

"Ugh fine...Oh! How about instead of exploring the city we go to the sea! you can see a lot more interesting things down there than a boring old city." She came up with a great plan B!

"That is a great Idea. I've never been to the sea!" I said excitedly. She just looked at me confused with her head cocked to one side. "I mean, I have only gone alone in California, rarely, as a mermaid. Before, when I was human, I have never been to the beach because I've never had the time since I've just moved there. And in Arkansas, well there is no ocean, so..." I always ranted on and on when I was nervous and embarrassed. what kind of mermaid doesn't make regular trips to the ocean? Me.

After that, we walk away from the cafe along the water and when we saw no one around, we jumped in.