Chapter 3.- Sixth Time Lucky! And Getting Stuck In A Sofa.

OMG. what.

All the girls in carrot costumes turn to glare at me.

“Go on, get up there!” a girl next to me dressed as an avocado shouts as she pushes me.

I slowly walk up to the stage, past the paramedics putting the girl who fainted onto a stretcher, and reach Steffie.

“Well, done!” she shouts and I go and take a seat next to Ashley, who grins at me.

“Ladies, these are the five tributes that will be representing District N2 in The Husband Games! Lets give them a cheer!” Steffie shouts to the crowd.

But the crowd does something different.

And the five of us gasp as the thousands of Directioners start to do the Inbetweeners dance.

It's the ultimate sign of respect and good luck.

Then a group of bodyguards come up and escort the five of us to the town hall, which is where we can say goodbye to our family and friends.

We didn’t get to talk to each other on the way down to the hall and when we reached it we were each escorted to a separate room to say our goodbyes.

I flop onto a comfy looking sofa as I enter my room. It looks sorta old, but I guess town halls are supposed to be, maybe they could brighten it up with a bit of new paint, new curtains, a mini bar...

“Shauna?” 

I spin around at the sound of my name being mentioned behind me.

It’s Gail.

I smile as I spot him standing in the doorway, and try to get out of the sofa to give him a hug. 

But it’s like one of those annoying beanbags, the ones that try to swallow you whenever you attempt to escape their comfy grasp.

“Mmmmph!” I manage to choke out as I get stuck in the sofa.

Luckily Gail only stands there staring at me like an idiot for about a minute, and then he decides to come and help me out.

Once I'm out of the sofa I give him a big hug.

“Thanks.” I sigh, wrapping my arms around my friend.

We stay like that for about a second and then he looks me in the eye. 

“Don't go.” He mumbles.

“Excuse me?” I ask arching my eyebrows in a ‘You’ve got to be kidding me’ look.

“Don't go, I need you.” He repeats, staring at me with pleading puppy dog eyes.

It won’t work Gail, I will not give in to that pout you are giving me. I know you’re needy but you’ll just have to move on.

“What for?” I ask getting annoyed.

“Who else will go to the pool with me?” He replies, pouting a little bit more.

Staph it Gail!

“I don’t know, one of the girls that went partying in it last weekend. You can tell her off at the same time for making it cold!” I reply sassily, those teens are lucky I’m going into The Husband Games, otherwise they’d have to face up to me next time they try to take a swim in my pool.

“I'm gonna miss you so much Shauna.” Gail sighs.

“Same,” I reply, missing him for a short second, and then I decide to launch into the list of things I needed him to do that I had prepared earlier.