Chapter 11 My First Showcase

Absolute Star

Chapter 11 - My First Showcase

~~~

Rosalind got out her phone, which seemed very hi-tech. It was no iPhone, just a white object that looked very much like a pebble. She saw me staring at it, and explained it to me.

“This is the only type of phone we use in this building. It has the number of every single worker, and you can easily contact them. It has no name - it’s just a phone. You’ll get one when you move in.”

“But-”

“Shh.” She pressed some kind of button and put the phone to her ear. “Danny, come to the audition room. Amy Star has arrived.” Then she hung up, and took me to the elevator. She pressed the button which said ‘23’, and it went down almost immediately. Just as we got off, a middle-aged man greeted us. I smiled and spoke politely, whilst the man and Rosalind made small talk. We reached the audition room, which was just a bleak room with nothing in it except a table and some chairs. White walls as usual. It seemed everything in this building was white! Even the ground was white!

“Amy, could you come with me?” the man said to me. I nodded, and followed him to another room. Now this room was much better! It was like a dance studio - the walls were mirrors and there was a ballet bar. It must’ve felt intimidating when you were dancing in there - seeing yourself whilst you dance. “Amy, this is where you’ll spend the rest of your morning. You can do whatever you want in here, but just stay put until after lunch, okay? I’ll send someone in to bring you to lunch. There’s one thing in particular that I want you to do - start choreographing your dance.

“Dance?” I said, surprised.

“Yes. Your audition will be in front of an audience, and you will sing, dance, play an instrument and act out a scene from a play that I will choose by random. If the audience like you, you can join the White Agency. If they don’t you’ll have to go back home. If it’s 50/50, we re-vote, or your worst and best performance chosen by the audience will be performed again. It’s simple - just do your best, okay? We’ll provide you with all the make-up and costumes.”

“When’s the audition?” I asked. It would’ve been super bad if it was tonight. I wasn’t even ready!

“Tomorrow evening, seven. Your parents can come if they want. By the way, I’m Danny. Well, I’m gonna go now, I’m pretty busy!”

I waited until he left before sinking onto the ground. He wanted me to do a showcase? And I had to get everything ready by tomorrow evening?! There was no way on earth that I would be able to do that. 

A couple of minutes later, Peter came in.

“Hey, Rosalind told me to come check on you,” he said, now with a t-shirt on. He had two buttons undone and his six-pack was really significant. I gulped, and stared at his face. His sunglasses had been taken off, and I could see his pretty blue eyes. His blonde hair was wet - there was water dripping onto his shirt.

“Okay, well thanks.”

“You’d better get started on your dance. When I first auditioned, I failed because my dance wasn’t very good. But the second time, I practised really hard, and I passed. That audience is really hard to convince! It’s full of experts - in my first audition I saw Brad Pitt!”

“Really?!” I replied. Seeing Brad Pitt at your audition… that would be the dream!

“Yep. He even came and said hi to me. Anyway, what kind of dance are you into?”

“Well I learn ballet and street dance at the moment, and that’s in school.”

“Those two dances are really quite different! Can you tut?”