Chapter 50: Beach

Jen's P.O.V.

I sat in front of the fire next to Matt's mom. They all were maintaing small talk with each other while I remained silent. The fire crackled and the ashes shot up into the sky, like red stars. I couldn't stop thinking about Matt. It was so difficult to breath like as if there was a boulder on my chest. I closed my eyes and put my face in my hands.

"Jen? Are you okay? If you aren't feeling well feel free to go inside." Ms.Espinosa weakly smiled touching my arm.

"Thank you." I excused myself and went back inside to Matt's room where I have been staying.

I opened the door then closed it behind me. I sat on the edge of the bed and began to cry. I needed to get away. It's so hard to. I'm in his room in his house with his family. I laid back and looked up at the ceiling. The tears rolled down my cheek one after one.

"Jen" The door creaked open as I quickly wiped my tears.

"Yeah?" I said and sat up. It was Jack.

"Oh Jen." He walked over and sat on the bed next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. "It will be okay. Matt is a strong guy." He pulled me into his chest and I began to cry again.

"Can we get out of here please?" I whimpered.

"You ready?"

"Mhmm."

He got up and pulled me up off the bed and underneath his arm once again. We walked outside to his car.

Jack G's P.O.V.

I opened the car door for Jen and ran to the drivers side and got in. I began to drive to the beach.

"Oh we're going to the beach aren't we?" She smiled. "Matt took me here once." She continued to smile and looked down at her lap.

I stopped the car and reached into the back seat and found a pool towel from the hotel. I looked over and Jen was already out of the car and walking towards the ocean. I opened the door and stepped out of my car and headed towards Jen.

"You gonna lay down the towel?" She turned around and smiled. The wind blew her hair into her face.

I laid down the towel and sat on it and Jen sat besides me. She put her head on my shoulder.l
"Thank you so much for being such a great friend to me. I cant even explain how much it means to me."

"Thats what buddies are for." I smiled brightly.

"It's just that I feel like I'm suffocating. His name is like a snake. It wraps around my throat and cuts off the air." She slurred her words together.

"It's fine to feel that way. Its just a phase."

"You know the saying 'there are so many fish in the sea' ?"

"Of course."

"Well we've been swimming not so good. He's been holding on tighter and tighter to me slowly weighing me down with him-"

"Jen."

"I've been trying to help him keep swimming. He's pulling me further down." Her voice began to shake. "If I let him go he'll sink to the bottom. I don't want him too." She cried into my shoulder.

"It's ok. Im here just let it out."

I felt her tears soak my shirt. She cried out how she loved him and how she needed to let go. We all knew no one could or wanted to. Her cries started to die down and the weight of her body increased as she feel into a light sleep. I held her in my arms and looked down at her face. Her eyes were puffy and red as they tend to get.

Matt's P.O.V.

I squinted my eyes looking around. I was surrounded by silence and darkness. I felt for my phone on the table next to the hospital bed and used the light as guidance. I slid open the draw and move a few things to retrieve my notebook and pen. I've been writing since I've been in the hospital. There isn't much to do in between visits and when I cant go to sleep. I met the pen to the blank lined paper and began to form letters then words then sentences.

Check out my friend Alliiisonniiicole's fanfic for Jack Gilinsky, it's called Constellations :)