IF YOUR FRIEND JUMPED OFF A CLIFF, WOULD YOU?

t/w: suicide

"You don't even know, Josh. What if after death, there's no afterlife. What if all religion and everything we learned at Church was wrong?"

The wind is strong as it blows around them. Josh thinks it might rain soon. It's his birthday today, and it could possibly be his deathday.

"Think about it, we have no idea what comes next, how could we know? We've never experienced it before." Tyler says. Josh watches his hands move around as he talks, watches his eyebrows raise, watches his small smiles.

"I guess so."

Tyler smiles, taking Josh's soft hand. They walk down the road together, streetlights shining down on them. Tyler giggles at Josh. The curly-haired teenager never seemed to have any expression on his face. Never had a smile, a laugh would never escape his lips. He looked dead.

"You look very handsome today, Tyler." Josh mumbles, staring at his shoes as he walks, Tyler tugging him along.

"Thanks."

Tyler hadn't said a word about his birthday and hadn't gotten him a present. He normally wrote Josh a letter every year, but Josh supposes he's forgotten this time.

There are barely any stars in the sky, maybe because they knew something bad was going to happen tonight. They didn't want to twinkle or beam, that would make them look like they're celebrating. Nothing about this was worth celebrating for.

"I love you, Josh." Tyler grins, placing a kiss to his boyfriends cheek.

Josh nods, "Okay."

The two boys meet the edge of the cliff. Everything seems nicer from this height. Josh wonders if it would be easy to fly away right now.

"Are you ready?" Tyler asks, Josh nods.

Tyler smiles slightly, rocks falling over the edge, toes hanging over. He turns, grabbing Josh's face, kissing him deeply.

"You have a lot of problems, Tyler."

"I know. Happy Birthday, Joshua."

And Josh nods again, watching as Tyler falls and falls and falls into an abyss.

"I love you too, Tyler." Josh says, beginning his walk back home.