YOUNG LOVE

"B-Boyfriend?" Tyler asks, eyebrows furrowed. Joshua nods, scratching his head of dark brown locks. He's wearing a yellow shirt. It cuddles him, it fits nicely, it has chocolate stains. Joshua's glasses sit comfortably on his big nose, faint freckles glowing in the sun. Tyler looks down at his feet, thinking for a bit. The two boys are standing in the middle of the road, separated by the white line running straight down the hot asphalt.

Joshua's finger has a band-aid wrapped around it, a smiley face drawn on it. Tyler looks back up at him, the sun in his eyes. Joshua grabs Tyler's hands, looking him in his hazel orbs.

"O-Okay, I-I w-will b-be y-your boy—Josh-Joshua."

Josh gasps, hugging Tyler close to his chest, he smells like fresh linen.

"Get off of the road!" A man in his car yells, the boys squealing and running to Joshua's front yard. They giggle, collapsing onto the dead grass. Josh lies down on his back, the grass poking into his skin.

"J-Joshua, d-does t-that h-hurt? There a-are th-thorns i-in the g-grass!" Tyler yells, getting up from his squatting position on the ground, taking Josh's hands in his own, pulling him up off the withering yard.

"I'm a man, Tyler. I can take it." Josh promises with a chuckle, dragging Tyler out of the front lawn. They walk down the street together, skipping happily in the sunshine. Tyler wonders where all of the kids are, why were they inside? It was a beautiful day.

Birds chirp and sing songs, Josh's shoes scuff against the road, it's music to Tyler's ears. They hold hands, Tyler is happy, Josh is happy. They are happy!

"Wanna go to the corner shop? I need to get some more band-aids." Josh says, hair falling in front of his pale face.

Tyler nods, grinning. He lets go of Joshua's hand, standing behind him, "G-Gimme a p-piggyback r-ride, J-Joshua."

Josh bends down slightly, Tyler jumps on his back, his legs wrapping around the curly haired boys torso. Josh holds Tyler's thighs, giggling like a little baby.

"H-How c-come y-you love b-band-aids s'much, J?" Tyler asks, smiling into Josh's warm neck. His best friend—no, boyfriend, his boyfriend laughs, beaming; he's a sun ray.

"I don't know, they're just cool!"

Tyler giggles, hands in Josh's hair. His lover can't stop smiling, cheeks hurting so badly, but in the nicest way. Soon enough, they make it to the corner shop. Tyler climbs off of Josh's back, they run through the small parking lot, running into a shop.

A bell rings when they enter, an employee smiling at them kindly, Tyler waves at her. There's candy and chocolate, soft drink and lots of other junk food. Josh tells Tyler to look for band-aids while he grabs a four-pack of RedBull and some chocolate bars.

Tyler kneels down at an aisle, grabbing some band-aids, they were only two dollars; he hopes they're good quality. The fifteen-year-old boy meets his lover at the counter, shoving the bandages down next to the snacks they were about to buy.

"That'll be seven dollars, thanks!" The cashier grins, holding her hand out for the money. Josh just stares into outer space, eyes boring into the linoleum floor. Tyler furrows his thick eyebrows, nudging Joshua in the arm.

Josh jumps, gasping, his eyes wide, "Uh, sorry, I was thinking about food." He says in embarrassment, cheeks heating up. The cashier laughs, Tyler giggles quietly.

They walk out of the shop, bandages and snacks in hand.

Josh blushes, his cheeks going a cherry red colour, "T-Ty, I was actually thinking about you, n-not food..."