Chapter 52 - Dust to Dust

Allison Argent was never supposed to die. She was seventeen years old, bold and brave as hell. She had an entire lifetime ahead of her, one that still deserves to be lived.

 She's hardly been gone a few hours, and still I miss her like I haven't seen her in years. I miss the smile she had that could light up a room, and the energy she carried that never doubted anyone around her. She always understood that we were just teenagers, but she also understood that we weren't just any teenagers. She was the best example of all of us.

 I just, I don't get it. I don't understand why she had to die. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that she's no longer here. It doesn't make sense to me. But, there's still time. I just haven't quite decided if I have the emotional capability to take advantage of it yet. That, and I can't quite decide if doing it is selfish or brave.

 I already have so many regrets, I don't want to add this to the list. I don't want this to haunt me for the rest of my life. It's my fault she was killed in the first place. My darkness is what gave the Nogitsune the power to make its own host and allowed for him to take control of the Oni. 

 Maybe if I hadn't stopped to help Stiles, maybe if I had kept going like I should have, I could have stopped it. I could have saved her. Instead, I chose Stiles over my brother and friends. I chose him and now Allison is dead. 

 It still doesn't seem real. I keep thinking that I'm going to wake up and realize that all of this has just been one long and vivid nightmare. But, I thought that before, and there's still a headstone with my father's name engraved on it. I've already been through this.

 Maybe that's why I have the ability to sit on the uncomfortable bench in the Sheriff's Station in between Scott and Lydia and keep it all together. My friends are struggling, I can see it and I can feel it. No one is saying anything. They're all just sitting there, hands in their lap and eyes looking nowhere trying to find a way to feel something again.

 Kira and Noshiko had taken Stiles to their home to keep him safe until we figured out a way to stop the Oni and destroy the Nogitsune. Eric left to go find Derek and tell him what's happened. That left Isaac, Scott, Lydia, and I all to be questioned by the deputies, explaining to them the story Mr. Argent gave us. 

 I hated that we had to explain Allison's death as if she were defenseless, that some gang just came out of nowhere and stabbed her in the stomach before anyone could do anything about it. That's not the way Allison died. She died a hero, and I just wish that there was a way for us to tell it like that.

 "Can you remember anything else?" Deputy Parrish asked us, leaning back against the Sheriff's desk and scribbling down notes. "Anything else? Isaac?"

 "I'm sorry," Isaac breathed out. I hung my head, knowing how much he's struggling with this. He and Allison were close, and she died protecting him. Sheriff Stilinski placed an arm on his shoulder. "It just happened so fast,"

 That's what we were instructed to say. We didn't see anything. It just happened so fast.

 ✞ 

 "Stiles and Kira said it was the Nemeton that kept it trapped," said Scott.

 He, Lydia, and I all followed Deaton into the examination room at the Animal Clinic. Kira called us with some new information that her mother told her about where the Nogitsune spirit had been buried. Now we just needed Deaton's help in figuring out what it all means.