Chapter 28 - Sacrifice

"It's not a big deal..." I stuttered. "Just, something my dad would always tell me to do,"

 I rubbed my thumb over the back of Stiles' hand, feeling my face grow hot with his eyes on me. I thought we were past the stage in our relationship where just him looking at me could make me blush. I'm kind of glad that we aren't.

 "If I was really smart I would tell you to sign up for a few sessions with the guidance counselor," I said, giving an uncomfortable laugh. 

 Stiles smiled at me, hanging his head down and finally looking away. I was beyond thankful that kissing him stopped the panic attack. I know from personal experience how awful and terrifying those can be.

 I could tell Stiles was thinking about something by the way he narrowed his eyes and parted his lips. I was just about to question when he muttered, "Morrell,"

 We looked up at each other. If there was anyone who could tell us anything about either Scott or the parent's whereabouts, it was her. I helped Stiles to his feet and we hurried out of the locker room. I grabbed Lydia by the arm, breaking off her question by telling her that we needed to get to Morrell. Thankfully she just went along with it, though I was surprised she didn't object and demand to know more.

 Stiles pushed open the door to Morrell's office, the three of us stepping inside only to find a dark-skinned girl that seemed vaguely familiar. She sat in a chair on the side closest to the door. The chair on the opposite side of the desk, however, was unoccupied.

 "Are you here for Morrell?" Stiles asked her.

 "No, I thought this was gym class," she remarked.

 "Sweetheart," said Lydia, turning her head sharply towards the girl. I was racking my brain to figure out where I'd seen her before. "We're not in the mood for funny. Do you know where she is?"

 "If I did I wouldn't be waiting here for twenty minutes," she said, gesturing towards the empty desk. "So how about you three back out the door and wait your turn,"

 "We're not here for a session," said Lydia, pursing her lips.

 "Well I am," said the girl. "And I've got some serious issues to work on,"

 Finally it clicked with me why she looked so familiar. "Hey wait," I said. "You're Danielle, Heather's best friend,"

 "I was Heather's best friend," she said. My heart felt like a ton of bricks had been dumped on it. "We've been working on that issue three times a week,"

 Heather was still a sensitive subject for me. I never really had time to properly mourn her. It still almost doesn't feel real, even though it's been nearly a month. I guess I've just tried not to think about her, even if that sounds bad. If I do think about her, then I think of Dad too. I can't think about him, at least not right now. 

 "Hold on," said Lydia. "Did you say Ms. Morrell was twenty minutes late?"

 Danielle nodded. "And I don't know why either. She's always on time,"

 Lydia turned and looked at Stiles and I with wide eyes. "I was seeing her at the beginning of the semester," she said. "She was never late,"

 "Well then if she's not late, she's missing," said Stiles in a low voice.

 "What if we're not the only ones who thinks she knows something?" I asked.

 Stiles looked over at her desk. "Then I want to know what she knows,"