Chapter 20 - Taken

I've been sitting on the end of my bed for an hour now. I managed to get some sleep last night, but I kept getting woken up by a series of terrifying nightmares. Most of them were about what's going to happen to me.

 There was a soft knock on my door before it opened. Eric popped his head in. "Shouldn't you be getting to school soon?"

 "Oh, yeah," I said, standing up. "Stiles is on his way to pick me up. He's just running late."

 "I can take you," he said.

 He promised Stiles that he wouldn't let me out of his sight since I made Stiles go home last night. They're worried about me, and I appreciate that, but I really wish they weren't. It would make this whole situation a hell of a lot easier. 

 "No, it's fine," I said. "He'll be here soon,"

 I made sure to keep my heartbeat steady, so Eric wouldn't know that I was lying. Stiles thinks that Eric is taking me to school, and Eric thinks Stiles is taking me to school. In reality, I have no intention of going to school at all.

 "It's on the way to Derek's," he said. "He wants me there in ten minutes anyways,"

 "He'll be here any minute. You can go," I said. "I'll be fine,"

 "Are you sure I shouldn't stay until he gets here?"

 I steadied my breathing. "If Derek needs you, you should go,"

 "You need me too, Emma,"

 Keeping my heart rate steady was becoming increasingly difficult. I hate that I have to lie to my brother like this, but it's what's best. Deep down I know I'm doing to right thing. If I get taken, killing me won't be as easy. That way they will have more time to find me, and more time to find the darach. If I can save lives in return for my own, then that will have been worth it.

 "He'll be here soon," I said.

 "You're sure?"

 "Yes," I said, slightly annoyed. "Now go!"

 "Alright, alright!" He said, putting his hands up in defense. "But call me once you get to school?"

 "Of course," I said. 

 He smiled and nodded, and I let out the breath I'd been holding in once he left my room. I stood by the window and watched until I saw him pull away in my car. Finally, I was without a bodyguard. I began setting up for what was about to happen. I set an envelope with Stiles' name written on it on my dresser. Enclosed was a letter, just in case my plan doesn't work out. 

 Then, I get on my knees and I just pray. I pray harder than I ever have before. I prayed to my family to watch over me and give me the strength to get through this. I prayed for them to give Stiles comfort, for him not worry too much. Most of all, I prayed for everything to just be okay. Not only this situation, but everything. 

 I pulled out my phone, dialing Scott's number. He answered on the first ring. "Emma? Where are you? Stiles is freaking out,"

 "Scott, I need you to listen to me, okay?" I said. "I'm going to be taken,"

 "What? Emma, where's Eric? You shouldn't be - "

 "Please, Scott," I said. "I need you to find me. You're my only hope,"

 I've always hated that term, only hope. Mostly because it means that if that hope doesn't work out, you have nothing left. In this situation, if Scott fails, I'm dead. I like to say that I'm ready for that, but I'm not.