Chapter 10 - Nightmares

~~STILES POV~~

 "I thought you said that it was virgins being killed," said Scott. "And I'm 100% positive that Emma's dad isn't a virgin,"

 I pulled my sweatshirt out of my gym locker, slipping it on over my head. "I don't know, okay? But we've got to find him. She can't lose her dad too,"

 It's been just me and Dad for so long now. I completely understand how Emma must be feeling. She's already had her mother and sister taken from her, her dad and Eric are all she has left. When I think about it and really put myself in her shoes, it makes me sick to my stomach. I can't lose my dad either. I don't want to know what it's like to lose both of my parents.

 "Eric and I both tried tracking his scent this morning, but we couldn't find anything," said Scott. "What if this isn't even related to the other three murders? How can we be sure this this is something actually supernatural?"

 I folded my arms across my chest and raised an eyebrow at my friend. "Scott, have you seen her dad? He used to literally fight and punch people in the face for a living. I don't think taking him would be very easy without a little extra help, okay?"

 Her dad terrified the hell out of me when we first met. He's just so big and rugged, and the fact that he used to be a boxer was pretty intimidating. Anyone who didn't know him would be afraid to talk to him. He just has this demeanor about the way he stands and talks. Although, once I got to know him I realized that he has a pretty big soft spot when it comes to Emma. I think we all do.

 "Besides, maybe they could still be targeting virgins," I said. "And you know who's a virgin? Me. I'm a virgin!"

 Scott held in a laugh. "You and Emma haven't done it yet?"

 "No, Scott," I said, shifting the weight on my feet and narrowing my eyes at him. "Someone interrupted us the last time we tried to do it so thank you, for that,"

 He shrugged and shut the door to his locker. He furrowed his brow when he turned back to look at me. "You look a little tired, did you get any sleep last night?"

 I let out a sigh, dropping my arms back down to my sides. "Just a couple of hours," I said.

 Last night I'd stayed with Emma. Even though Melanie, her dad's girlfriend, and Eric were there, Dad still let me spend the night. With as distraught as she was, I think he knew nothing would happen between us. She cried most of the night. Eventually her sobs ceased and her body relaxed in my arms. It was hard to watch someone I love so much in so much fear and pain.

 She confessed to me that she hadn't slept the previous two nights. I had noticed the dark circles underneath her eyes, but I thought that they might just be from stress. She told me that she was too scared to sleep, and it stung me in a way I never thought possible.

 It feels like I'm failing her. I'm supposed to protect her and make her happy. It's just...I'm not like her or Scott or Eric. I can't do the things that they can do, and it makes me feel useless. Maybe I should have taken the bite from Peter that night. Things would be so much different. 

 "Mr. Lahey!" Called out Coach Finstock. Scott and I both peered around our row of lockers to see Isaac walking in with his gym bag in hand. "Happy to have you back. Not happy that you're late,"

 "Sorry, Coach," said Isaac, striding past him.

 "I'll remind you all, Cross Country is not optional for lacrosse players," said Coach, his voice echoing throughout the locker room. "I don't need you turning into a bunch of fat asses during the off season, so work on that,"