Chapter 13 - Gone Rogue

~~STILES POV~~

 I ran after Emma as she headed for the door. I took to the stairs two at a time, but her legs could carry her faster than my own. She was out of the building before I even reached the last flight. I ran out the door and called out her name, but she was out of sight. I leaned my back against the wall, rubbing my hands along my face.

 With one swift movement, I turned around and slammed a fist against the exterior of the building. I'm not sure why I did. I guess I just felt the need to hit something. Muttering profanities under my breath, I went back inside and took the elevator back up to Derek's loft. 

 Everyone's eyes went to me as I walked in, but I shook my head. I wasn't fast enough to catch her. I walked over to where everyone else was surrounding Brittany's body. I could hardly look at it without feeling sick to my stomach. She's dead, and she's dead because Emma killed her. I don't know how I'm supposed to react to something like that.

 It wasn't entirely Emma's fault. Brittany had been egging her on. Taunting Emma about her dad was just the last straw. I understand how sensitive of a subject it is for her. Losing one parent is hard enough, but losing both, that's a hit you never saw coming.

 "Should we go after her?" Scott asked, looking around at all of us with big eyes.

 "No," said Eric. His face was nearly as white as Brittany's. "She needs to cool down,"

 Cora stood up from where she had been kneeling by Brittany's head. She stumbled backwards, nearly tripping over her own feet. Catching herself, she cleared her throat and said, "Are you sure that's such a good idea?"

 "Yeah," said Scott. "Didn't you say that once a healer uses their ability to kill it triggers something and...and..."

 "And they can't stop," finished Eric. "Yeah, I know. Emma's stronger than that, she can fight it,"

 I hung my head. For once, I didn't have anything witty or sarcastic to say. In fact, I didn't have anything to say at all. What am I supposed to say? I just watched my girlfriend murder someone with the sheer force of her own will. It's taking a little while to settle in.

 "Fight it?" Derek said, his tone sharp. "She just killed someone, Eric. This girl, whoever she is, is dead because of Emma. We need to find her and we need to stop her,"

 Eric shook his head. I know that he's trying to protect Emma, doing what he thinks is best, but Derek's right. She just killed someone, and if what Eric told us is true, then there's a pretty good chance that she'll do it again. I know Emma, and once she realizes what she's done, she won't be able to live with herself. 

 "There has to be something we can do," said Scott. "This is Emma we're talking about. She's put her life on the line to help and protect others. Now it's our turn to help her,"

 I thought about all of the times Emma has put the safety and well-being of others before herself. Helping Scott adjust to becoming a werewolf is what started this whole mess. She could have easily stayed out of it and never bothered to share her information, but she didn't. She knew that Scott and I both needed help, and she was willing to sacrifice her entire life to our cause. 

 Eric was pacing back and forth, running his hands over the back of his neck. It was beginning to make me nervous. I barely even know what's going on. Eric's the one who traveled to Romania to collect information on Emma's kind. He's supposed to know what to do about this. Brittany said that I'm always the one figuring it out, but right now that doesn't seem to be the case. I feel like I'm losing Emma and I don't know how to fix it.