Chapter 27 - Breathe

Stiles and I sat shoulder to shoulder in a pair of the waiting room chairs. We told Derek we'd hold off the police for the rest of them. I still couldn't believe it, that Jennifer took Melissa. Then, when Stiles joined Derek, my brother, and I, he explained that Scott left with Deucalion. It just doesn't seem like something Scott would do. 

 I'd noticed Stiles biting his lip, his hand tense in mine. I get it, I totally do. I mean, his dad's been taken and now his best friend has gone off with some sociopath. I know how it feels to have people continuously taken from you.

 "It'll be okay," I said to him, placing a soft hand on his arm. "We'll find them,"

 He just bobbed his head. He hadn't spoken much since we separated from Derek and my brother. I'm hoping it's just because he's tired. We have been up all night, and he didn't have any Aderrall on him for me to sneak away to help keep me alert and focused. 

 I still feel that darkness I unleashed yesterday with Jennifer. It feels like it's pushing against my chest, trying to burst. It caused me to squeeze Stiles' hand a little harder. He glanced over at me, and I wondered if he could see the pained expression I was doing my best to hide. I'm sure he could. He has a talent for the kinds of things, at least with me.

 There were sirens all around the hospital and the waiting room was buzzing with FBI agents. A tall and oval-headed man in a gray suit turned towards where Stiles and I were sitting. There was something vaguely familiar about him, but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. The look that crossed Stiles' face gave it away.

 He groaned and slouched down in his seat. "Oh just perfect,"

 "Is that who I think it is?" I asked quietly to him, as the man was now walking towards us. 

 He stopped directly in front of Stiles, looking down at him. I squinted my eyes at his identification badge that had the FBI seal on it and everything. A knot formed in the pit of my stomach when I read the title, Agent Rafael McCall

 "A Stilinski in the middle of this whole mess, what a shocker," said Agent McCall. I felt Stiles grow even more tense next to me. "Think you can answer a few questions without the usual level of sarcasm?"

 "If you can ask the questions without the usual level of stupid," retorted Stiles. I raised my eyebrows and fought off a smirk in appreciation. 

 Agent McCall gave a sweet smile. "Where's your dad and why has no one been able to contact him?"

 "I don't know," said Stiles. "I haven't seen him in hours,"

 "I haven't either," I said, backing up my boyfriend. 

 The asshole turned his head and narrowed his eyes at me. I focused on Stiles' grip to keep myself from throwing him back against the wall. I may not know the whole story about why he left his family, but I know enough to have a strong dislike for him.

 "And who are you?" He asked me.

 "Emma Brisbane," I told him.

 He cocked an eyebrow. "Your dad was one of the recent murders,"

 My throat tightened up a bit around the word 'murders', but I managed to swallow it down. "Yes,"

 "Interesting," he said, studying me. It made me uncomfortable, so I sat up straight and leaned myself closer to Stiles. It was like he was making all of these assumptions about me in his head when, really, he doesn't know anything about me. "What about you, Stiles? Your dad been drinking again?"