Chapter 35 - Trapped

Lydia had decided to stay with the twins, leaving Stiles and I to ride in his jeep to the Preserve where we were meeting up with Scott, Isaac, and Allison. Stiles and I rushed out of the jeep once it came screeching to a halt. Everyone looked around at each other as we just stood around.

 I've been thinking about this a lot, especially on the drive over here, about what we're doing. I just don't know if what we're doing is exactly the right thing to do. Mr. Tate has come to accept the idea of a car accident as the cause of death to his family, maybe it should just stay that way. As for Malia, she's been a coyote for eight years. Even if Scott does manage to change her back, who knows what she'll be like. Her human side could be entirely gone by now.

 "Anyone else thinking that we may be doing more harm than good?" I asked timidly. 

 "We're trying to keep a father from killing his own daughter," said Scott. 

 "Actually, we're trying to keep a guy from killing a coyote, who's actually his daughter, who we don't know how to change back from a coyote into his daughter but..." said Isaac. 

 Stiles narrowed his eyes. "And again with the not helping,"

 Isaac returned with a snarky smile. I just rolled my eyes. I don't know if there ever will come a day when these two idiots will ever get along, and most of it is because of me. Most of it.

 Scott let out a heavy sigh before turning his head towards Allison. "Did you bring it?"

 Without changing her expression, Allison opened up the trunk to her car and pulled out a very long and deadly-looking tranquilizer gun. She held it close to her chest, taking a deep breath. She was nervous, I could tell, but we need her in her best mindset if we have any chance at succeeding in this.

 Everyone froze as the sound of a gunshot echoed throughout the trees. We all glanced at each other with wide eyes. Before Stiles or I could stop them, Scott had taken off on his motorbike in the direction of the sound, Isaac and Allison sprinting after him.

 "Wait! Wait! Wait!" Stiles called out, but it was too late. They were gone. 

 "You should call your dad," I said. "See if it was Mr. Tate who just fired that shot,"

 Stiles sighed and nodded, pulling out his cell and dialing his dad's number. It hardly took even a moment for the Sheriff to pick up. The call was a bit fuzzy, so I was having some trouble picking up exactly what was being said on the other end.

 "It took the doll again?" Stiles exclaimed, turning to look at me. "What the hell is so important about this doll?"

 The Sheriff was speaking on the other line, but his voice kept cracking up in my ear. I was surprised Stiles could even understand what his father was saying to him. As I waited for him to relay the news, I watched his facial expression change. His eyes widened into the distance, as if he got some kind of realization.

 "It's the doll," he said. I furrowed my eyebrows at him. He then lowered the phone away from his ear, bringing his brows together and squinting his eyes. "It's the doll?"

~~

 "But why would it go to the school and then all the way back to the house just for a doll?" Stiles thought aloud as he crouched down. I paced back and forth in the fallen leaves behind him. "One that was in the car wreck in the first place, we didn't find it in the coyote den,"

 "It likes the doll," I said. Stiles was thinking way too much into this. "Who cares?"

 "Yeah, it likes the doll a lot," he said.