Chapter 40 - Don't Tell

"And then you brought up the phosphors, and the key having chemicals on it," Stiles was saying to me as he, Scott, and I walked into the Chemistry room. Stiles was speaking frantically and I could hear how hard his heart was pounding. "So that made me think of the Chemistry closet and the fact that someone had to let Barrow in,"

Stiles paused in front of the chalkboard. Scott and I glanced at each other with worried expressions. It's pretty normal for Stiles to be jumpy and anxious like this with the ADHD and what not, but the way he's acting now is different than that. It scares me.

"It's gone," said Stiles, staring at the blank chalkboard. He began walking backwards towards Scott and I. He turned around and pulled out his keys. "Okay, okay it doesn't matter though. I still have the key,"

He strode past us and stopped in front of the closet door, the same closet door that he didn't want to open in my dream. He fiddled through his keys and I noticed that his hands were shaking. He turned away from the door and back towards Scott and I, looking through each key.

"I had it here," he said, his heartbeat rising even more. "I swear to god I had it this morning,"

"The key you were talking about last night?" I asked him.

"Yeah, yeah," he said. "I showed it to you, the one with the phosphors,"

"Stiles - " I began, but he cut me off.

"Tell me I'm not crazy," he said. I couldn't do that. I was nowhere near sane enough at the moment to advise anyone else on rational behavior.

Scott was giving me an odd look, obviously confused as to what was going on. I don't think Stiles ever mentioned the key to him, only he and I talked about it. But he did have it, I know he did. I saw it with my own eyes.

"I was here a couple hours ago," said Stiles, now walking back towards the chalkboard. Scott and I followed him. "And the message left for Barrow spelling Kira's name was right there on the board in my handwriting and I had the key to the Chemistry closet,"

"So you unlocked the Chemistry closet so Barrow could hide from the cops and then you wrote him a message to kill Kira?" Scott said, trying piece this together from what Stiles was telling us.

I just don't believe it. Why would Stiles do anything like that? How would he have even gotten the key to the Chemistry closet in the first place? None of this seems to make any sense yet for some reason it feels like the only explanation.

"I know, I know how it sounds, but look at this," said Stiles, pulling a piece of paper out his pocket. "It's a news report that came out about Barrow when they caught him, about the shrapnel bomb that he used. See this? See what he did? He pulled nuts, bolts, and screws and then he hid the bomb and the detonator in a box that he wrapped as a birthday present. What does that sound like to you?"

My stomach felt like it was sinking. I re-read the report as Stiles held it out, wanting to make sure that everything he was telling us was true. Unfortunately, it was. The way Barrow designed the bomb is all too familiar.

"Coach," said Scott, voicing my own thought. "The prank we pulled on Coach,"

"That was my idea," said Stiles. "Do you remember that was my idea? That's no coincidence. It can't be,"

Scott and I looked at each other again, pained expressions on both of our faces. Neither of us really knew what we were supposed to say to him. What do you say to something like that, when your boyfriend tells you that he's potentially trying to kill people?

"I don't wanna sound like I'm trying to tell you that you're wrong, but I don't think you're trying to kill people either," said Scott.

Stiles looked back at the blank chalkboard, crumbling up the news report into his fist. "It was here, it was all here," he mumbled.